cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Adding a second processor to the xw8400

HP Recommended
I have an older Hewlett Packard xw8400 workstation that came with one CPU (xeon 5150) and it is now running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a second processor. Also xeon 5150. But when I added the CPU, I can't see it in the BIOS or Windows. What can I do to the second processor will be visible in the system? Sorry, I speak a little English.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 10
2,051 2,006 184 580
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First, I'd make sure you had the latest BIOS installed.... that is easy, and you can install that from within Windows.

Second, I have never had a good matched second processor not show up after reboot.  There is no setting you need to reset to make the second one show up.  It just automatically activates and is present, assuming it is a good one.

Thus, you likely have a bad second E5150.

You can look at the laser etching on the top surface of the first processor, and confirm that your second one has the same sSpec code as the first.... there are 3 total sSpec codes for the E5150, from oldest to newest:  SL9RU, SLABM, and finally the latest is SLAGA.

With old versions of BIOS supposedly you needed to match the sSpec code for the two processors...... with the newer BIOS versions supposedly this need is resolved and you can mix and match as long as both are E5150's.  That is why I put that "first" tip at the top.

So, try that BIOS update first, if you don't already have the latest.  If you do, then you probably have a bad second processor or bad processor slot, or bad orientation of the second processor in that slot.

Please let us all know what ends up working.... it will help others in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for the tips. Tomorrow I'll check the name of the processor. I bought SLAGA as a second processor. But I want to upgrade BIOS. Where can I find it? I do not know where to download it at HP website. My version is 786D5 v02.22 BIOS (SMBIOS Version 2.5).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
2,051 2,006 184 580
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to attach the BIOS updater and lost the entire post........ oops.  Just google "xw8400 drivers" and go to the HP link at the top, then to HP xw8400 workstation, then to XP Professional, and at the top you'll see the BIOS service pack link for download.  Its the same for all the different OS versions.

It is 2.38 from December 2010, and the xw6400 has a similar download with the same "2.38" but it is different and will not work.  The one for the xw8400 has different "microcode" built in.

Let us all know if simply updating the BIOS gets your second E5150 running....... your current BIOS is quite old and likely is from the era where the BIOS would not let mismatched sSpec code processors (within the same processor number) fire up.  The later BIOS versions let you mix, and will be great for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit if you want that.

I personally always like to match, however, but that is easy for me because I'm usually putting in paired E5160's or paired E5345's.  Read up on putting in the quad cores here, if you wish.  The E5150's are nice fast and cool running processors, however.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you! I have uploaded a new BIOS, but the problem is a different version of the processor. I know what it is a problem. xw8400 has a processor SL9RU code, and I bought a SLAGA. First I'm looking for a good CPU and let you know.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought a second processor SLAGA (now I have two same processors). I have upgraded the latest BIOS. But unfortunately the system and BIOS still can not see two processors. I checked both processors and are good.

So, what is wrong?

How can I check processor slot? Maybe this slot is broken.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
2,051 2,006 184 580
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you say you checked both processors and they were good I'm going to assume that means you got each to run independently in the top processor socket (with the bottom processor socket empty in each case).

In that case then it sure seems that the socket or a motherboard component feeding that socket is bad.  The addition of a second processor to the lower socket has been uneventful for me in all cases assuming the processor is good.  The second one just fires up without needing to enter BIOS or respond to a BIOS prompt, etc.

Here's a shot in the dark.... go into BIOS, go over to the far right Advanced tab, and down to Processors, and make sure "Limit CPUID Maximum Valure to 3" is set to Disable.  If not, make that change and F10 out of there, making sure to save your changes on the way out of BIOS.

Here's another perspective:  Let's say your lower processor socket is bad.  You wanted to run two E5150's, which would give you a W7 User Experience Score for processor and memory performance of a "low" 7.2.  It turns out you can extrapolate those experience scores from the xw6400 to the xw8400, from prior testing.  A single E5345 quad core gets you 7.1's, and two get you 7.5's.

The xw8400 I'm typing on right now has two X5355 quad cores in it.  Those cannot run on a xw6400 but can on the xw8400.  The latest sSpec code for those is SLAEG, and those run 120 watts max each.  Those two in this workstation get me 7.6 scores for processor and memory performance in W7, and if you drop back 0.4 (like what happens in the xw6400 when going from two E5345's to one) you'd end up with a strong 7.2.  So, there is a good outcome even if you only use one processor.  One of those new from Intel is about $750.00 USD now, and used from eBay is about $50.00.  Maybe 35.00 if you really hunt.

If you do that try to make sure you have either the -001 or the -002 version of the single fan heatsink, each of which have 4 out of their 4 slots for heatpipes populated.  The -003 version has only 3 of the 4 slots filled.  The processors stay nicely cool with those two heatsinks I mention.  Also, make sure to use a snappy video card, as I have discussed previously (FX3700 is very nice) so you can really perceive the benefit of your upgrade in daily use.

I have my data on the various processor scores under W7 listed in the nearby post here entitled "xw 6400 Processor Upgrade" and also in an independent post lower on the list with some more video card tips.

Maybe you'll go for a new motherboard and 2 x X5355?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried different solutions. But the problem is not the motherboard or processor. I checked that my Windows 7 Home Premium supports only one processor (which can have many cores). Windows 7 Professional version supports up to two physical processors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart Nevertheless thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry this is a late reply but i have an xw8400 running 2 xeons. your problem isnt anything to do with the BIOS or matching processors. (which you still need to do) Windows 7 professional does not support 2 processors. to my knowledge the only version of windows 7 that supports 2 processors is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, windows server and windows enterprise. once you upgrade to ultimate or any of these versions it will recognize the 2 processors. funny thing is, Microsoft's own website says windows 7 professional supports 2 physical processors but i couldnt get it to work for the life of me :smileysad: upgrading to ultimate was the only fix for a user end device. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
2,051 2,006 184 580
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been running two processors in all my xw6600 and xw6400 builds on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (not Ultimate) for years now.  I never have heard before that the same cannot be done with a xw8400, and see no reason why that would be the case.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation