cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Beulah3
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Administrator account has been disconnected from the user group

HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1254
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My administrator account has disappeared from the computer.  We still have one user, but that wasn't set as administrator so we can't updated anything. I don't want to lose all of my pictures and documents. 

I have tried a system restore, but it pops up with the old administrator account/password screen.  When I click ok, nothing happens and it says it can't find it.

Is there a way to add the account back to the user group?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jay_101
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

See if the tips to enable the Admin account at Tech Republic helps you.

You may be able to do this running on a standard user account.

I have not tried it.

Jay

0 Kudos
Beulah3
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, this didn't work for me.  The pop-up box appeared asking for the password to allow access.  The user it was asking permission was the one that was disconnected from the group.  I can't get past that dialog box for anything.

0 Kudos
Jay_101
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Try this method using Safe Mode.

Jay

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation