Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Chuck-IT Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After Windows 10 fail, Win 7 now counterfeit and activation failure

Pavilion p6540f Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Due to Microsoft's persistent urging, a little curiousity, and the faith that I could recover my system, I upgraded to Windows 10 in June, 2016. It worked great for several weeks, then failed badly. I couldn't boot into regular mode. Research showed that all I had to was start in Safe Mode. When I finally got to the point where the "Restart in Safe Mode" option should have been, I see "Return to Previous Build" instead. I chose that and it reverted back to Windows 7. Windows 7 also didn't work because Windows 10 messed up the partitions. That also prevented me from doing a hard drive Recovery. At this point, I'm starting to think, "**bleep** this is getting to be beyond ridiculous, its a good thing I made Recovery Discs." So I boot the computer with the first of three Recovery DVDs that I made from this computer and it tells me they aren't for this computer (an ongoing miserable failure by many OEM's). HP says its too late to have a working DVD Recovery set mailed to me like they would have before 4+ years went by. So I installed the same version of Windows 7 from a retail DVD. The activation period is over now (I thought it had already activated as everything I've done is proper, legal and legitimate), and my option is to buy a new license. Unbelievable. Will somebody please fix this nightmare.

Thanks, Chuck-IT

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Chuck-IT Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After Windows 10 fail, Win 7 now counterfeit and activation failure

Problem resolved after trying the activation process yet again.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation