Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Beats 23-n000 All-in-O
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Trying to upgrade the hard drive in the above machine to SSD.  Have used the Aomei Backupper software to perform a disk clone whilst the SSD was temp installed in a USB chassis.  I believe the cloning itself worked fine as all the partitions from the orginal drive in the HP ENVY Beats 23-n000 All-in-One PC appeared.  I come across an issue after physically swapping the drives over....I cannot seem to get the new SSD drive to boot; this is despite trying multiple changes in the BIOS to the boot options.  The disk clone was done as GPT to GPT so all good there.

Has anyone any ideas....?

Thank you in advance of your help.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Here is the guide from AOMEI Backupper on "How To"

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/system-clone.html

After the cloning it states:

When the system cloning is finished, we suggest you not to boot the computer from the destination disk directly. In order to make Windows bootable from the new HDD or SSD, please shut down the computer after system cloning is completed. And then disconnect the source disk and connect the destination disk to the socket of the source disk.

It might be worthwhile to try it again following that guide.

IMHO, do not let Windows see that clone until the original drive is disconnected, then connect the SSD in place of the HDD.  I have not used the AOEMI software to clone, I have used Acronis in a non-Windows environment and shut down remove the original drive and up in the clone.  Windows will mark a drive if it sees the drive with the other drive as the boot.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply.  Yes, I'd already done as suggested.i.e. after full disk clone...shut down the PC...removed orginal drive and replaced with SSD drive in orginal drive's position. I did then think it should have just booted OK without any BIOS changes but sadly that's not the case.  Have you any further suggestions? I'm sure it's got to be a BIOS change needed as I have used AOMEI to disk clone on a few other brand machines and it's a simple swap over needed after the disk cloning is complete.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

> I'm sure it's got to be a BIOS change needed.

Sometimes, the BIOS "remembers" the manufacturer and model-number of the "spinning" disk-drive.

Enter BIOS SETUP, and confirm that the list of "bootable" disk-drives includes the SSD as the first in the list,

and that the boot-order lists the disk-drive "group" as the first group.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank for the reply.  I'll double check tomorrow and feed back on here.  I left the machine doing a system ONLY clone to the SSD via AOMEI so will give the BIOS options a review tomorrow as said.

Cheers

HP Recommended

There should not be any BIOS changes necessary but it would not hurt to look in the BIOS to see if the new SSD is detected.  It should have booted normal unless the drive is not detected if it is indeed first boot item as @mdklassen

BTW: what is the software version of AOMEI Backupper

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The only other thing I noticed was after I could not get the SSD to boot I swapped the orginal drive back in...obviously booting up fine.  I plugged the SSD back in via USB and through Disk Management the Windows partition on the SSD drive did not have a "boot" status as the orginal drive. Just wondering if this "boot" flag needs to be assigned to the SSd drive perhaps.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Interesting.  A good clone should be an exact copy of the original.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

"No BIOS changes"....yes, that's exactly my findings when upgrading other manufacturers machines to SSD.

AOMEI backupper 4.0.3 was used (Free version) downloaded today from the AOMEI site.

Yes, I'll check tomorrow in the BIOS to verify where and what it's detected as.  I know it appeared in there but cannot remember if under legacy boot options or UEFI

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes, I agree...the disk clone should be a total replication of the existing disk....I've had no troubles with AOMEI before at all.    Very strange as it had confirmed the clone had completed successfully.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.