cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jesprej
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

After installing new graphic card, PC doesn't start

HP Recommended
p6721it
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On desktop pc p6721it:

when replacing graphic card that came with the purchase (GeForce GT240) with new one (GeForce GT710) computer doesn't start up.
If the monitor is connected (DVI) to the GT710 boot screen is displayed but then stucked. There are 4x beeps in intervals of 25 second.
If the monitor is connected (DVI) to the internal motherboard display adapter there is only blank screen. And there are 6x beeps in short intervals.
So, how to get GT710 working?

BIOS has been upgraded to latest version 7.15. Board is 2AB6 1.04

Windows 10 (64 bit) was reinstalled with EFI mode partition (GPT).

Idea was to disable/enable Secure boot/legacy support but in BIOS there is no such option.

Also tried with Windows "UEFI firmware settings" but this option is missing as well. 😞

Can you please help.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Jesprej, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand that after installing a new graphics card you are unable to boot into PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

I have checked the specifications of your PC and graphics card it looks to be compatible with your PC.

Can you try plugging the graphics card into a different PCI slot and check if it works.

According to the graphics card specifications the minimum power requirement is 300W.

Can you try upgrading the PSU and check if it helps.

Also, as you mentioned you are getting 4 or 6 short beeps in an interval on your PC.

It looks to be a CPU or BIOS might have got corrupted on your PC.

Refer this article to know more about beep codes.

Can you try restoring BIOS to default and check if it helps.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jesprej
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,
thank you for replying and please accept apologies for my late reply.

Please find answers to your questions:

Can you try plugging the graphics card into a different PCI slot and check if it works.
Unfortunately it is not possible to plug in graphic card into a different PCI slot. Motherboard “2AB6” only has one PCI Express ×16 slot.

According to the graphics card specifications the minimum power requirement is 300W.
PC Power supply installed Out Of the Box is 300W.

Picture of manufacturer label where this is eveident:

https://screenpresso.com/=yoMme

Can you try restoring BIOS to default and check if it helps.
When first installing graphic card, installed BIOS was default one and the same scenario was happening at the time.

In the meantime I’ve also tried installing another graphic card. This time GeForce GT730.
The same scenario and same 4x beeps in interval of 25 seconds occurred.
According to provided article about beep codes it is pointing to “Fatal errors related to the operation of critical motherboard components”
But because of trying different graphic card we can rule this error out.

Is it possible that Secure boot is not allowing changing graphic card?
Because it all points to some configuration that is not allowing altering OOB components.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jesprej, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned even after performing BIOS default on your PC the issue still persist.

Try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

If you still have issues after updating BIOS, it certainly looks to be an issue with a PCI-e slot which has failed.

To eradicate if it is an issue with the PCI-e slot, you have to check with a different graphics card.

Secure boot has nothing to bo with changing the graphics card.

However, I would suggest you run a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if hardware components are working fine on your PC.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics test on your PC.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jesprej
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

Try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.
As I wrote in my initial post:
BIOS has been upgraded to latest version 7.15. Board is 2AB6 1.04. Prior it was 7.14.

To eradicate if it is an issue with the PCI-e slot, you have to check with a different graphics card.
As I wrote in my previous post:
Because of trying with multiple graphic cards we can rule out this issue.

I did HP Vision Diagnostics System Diagnostic and results turned out all as PASSED.

Anyway, additional web browsing led me to find people with same problem. Here are some examples:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1944607/asus-gtx-760-works.html

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-PEGATRON-2AB6

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/BIOS-entering-for-HP-Pavilion-El...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/693391/geforce-gtx-760-and-hp-pavillon-troubles/

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184043.0

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20925-gtx-780-pc-not-booting/?page=2

Conclusion would be that this motherboard (PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AB6) does not support newer graphic cards. It is disappointing really that there is no BIOS that would fix this.

Thank your MrRobot for helping anyway!
Best regards.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jesprej, Thanks for your response and time.

As you mentioned all the diagnostics test on your PC has passed.

It looks to be an issue with the system board, please contact HP Support and get service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead! 

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,732 6,716 634 1,514
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jesprej

I can't say the following problems I had when trying to change my graphics card applies in your case with 100% certainty.

I had two HP desktop PC's made in 2011 and 2012. I could not change the graphics card (GC). The only card that worked was the factory installed card.

I could also not update the software using AMD or Nvidia drivers. The only drivers that worked were the drivers provided by HP. The AMD  and Nvidia installers would tell me there is no compatible GC  on my PC.

Both PC's refused to to boot with a compatible GC replacement. I could not find any BIOS settings to change this behavior.

Grzy

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation