cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

All-In-One Desktop Storage Issues

HP Recommended
Pavilion 22
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I hope I am in the right section.

My desktop has 918Gb storage, which i am advised is 914 Gb full. My recovery drive D is also full. The computer does not seem to recognise my WD "My Passport". I am therefore very concerned about the lack of remaining storage, and the fact that I cannot back-up or have upgrades. Having contacted HP support, I have run scans, performed disc cleans, changed restore points, tried to delete temporary files (they do not seem to delete). I also got very confused attempting to use Visipics in order to delete repeated photos (I am advised that these take up 400Gb of storage, which I find extraordinary). I cannot believe that I  - intentionally - have 914 Gb of data on my system, and I wonder if somehow things are being stored with multiple copies somehow?

I am a real novice with computers (I only purchased this one in 2014, although some of the files pre-date that), and am concerned that I will soon get to the point that I cannot even access my computer.

Any advice would be very gratefully received

Best regards 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,057 25,989 2,384 5,654
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kenneth1941

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You have several different issues, all related to disk space usage, that I will attempt to address ..

First - Visipics.  I have no knowledge of how this work,but I have used other picture-management apps, most notably by Kodak, and all they did was create a database of information about pictures.  They did not actually make copies of those pictures in a different area.  You would need to research Visipics to see what it does.  Can not help you on this.

Second -- Disk cleanup.  You can run an MS function that will scan your drive for stuff it can safely remove.  To do this, enter "clean" in the search tool, and when "Disk Cleanup" is displayed, right-click on that and select Run as Administrator.

Third -- Windows Update cleanup.  This is information on another MS utility you can run that will clean up obsoleted and redundant elements for Windows Update:  http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

Many thanks for your response. It was much appreciated.

I was able to free up some space using the disc clean function as an administrator.

I cannot, however, work out how to do the Windows Update cleanup. I can get the "elevated command instance", I can type "cleanmgr", but all this seems to do is bring up the same disc clean box, with the option to clean one of the three drives; rather than a larger box with Windows Update Cleanup listed among other items than can be deleted. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,057 25,989 2,384 5,654
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, then see if this helps:  http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-clean-up-windows-10s-winsxs-folder-using-the-startcompone...

I do this every week to keep the Windows Update stuff to a minimum.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation