Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just installed 4 GB RAM to double it. It now shows I have 8 GB but only 3.29 available. I'm sure you have the fix but I am a novice so please type slowly                               8GB

4GB Hynix/Hyundai 1600MHz

4GB Hynix/Hyundai 1600MHz

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Windows will happily suck up any memory you feed it, which after all is the point. What good is unused memory? How much does it show as "In use"? My system has 8gb total memory and it shows 4.1gb In use and 3.8gb available- with only a  web browser open.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Start the Windows "Task Manager".

Click to the "Performance" tab.

Near the bottom of the window, click "Process Monitor".

Click to the "Performance" tab.

Expand the "RAM" section to see something like:

Capture.JPG

Move your mouse-pointer over the "green" block, or over the "dark blue" block, to pop-up an explanation.

As the Other Person wrote, Windows finds a use for most of the 8GB in my computer.

HP Recommended

I have 4676 MB Hardware Reserve Memory.What I installed is just being used as Reserve?? I know I'm a novice but I've always been led to beleive more RAM, better performance. I can see no value in my installation.

HP Recommended

> I have 4676 MB Hardware Reserve Memory.What I installed is just being used as Reserve??

Weird. 

Are you using the 32-bit version of Windows?  It will use about 3.2 GB of the first 4.0 GB of RAM, and "reserve" the rest. 

So, if you add 4GB of RAM, it will "reserve" 4676 (4096+580) GB.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.