cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SWATFLA
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

All in One 22-3130 pavilion isn't using extra 4G of RAM I installed

HP Recommended

I just installed 4 GB RAM to double it. It now shows I have 8 GB but only 3.29 available. I'm sure you have the fix but I am a novice so please type slowly                               8GB

4GB Hynix/Hyundai 1600MHz

4GB Hynix/Hyundai 1600MHz

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows will happily suck up any memory you feed it, which after all is the point. What good is unused memory? How much does it show as "In use"? My system has 8gb total memory and it shows 4.1gb In use and 3.8gb available- with only a  web browser open.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start the Windows "Task Manager".

Click to the "Performance" tab.

Near the bottom of the window, click "Process Monitor".

Click to the "Performance" tab.

Expand the "RAM" section to see something like:

Capture.JPG

Move your mouse-pointer over the "green" block, or over the "dark blue" block, to pop-up an explanation.

As the Other Person wrote, Windows finds a use for most of the 8GB in my computer.

SWATFLA
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have 4676 MB Hardware Reserve Memory.What I installed is just being used as Reserve?? I know I'm a novice but I've always been led to beleive more RAM, better performance. I can see no value in my installation.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have 4676 MB Hardware Reserve Memory.What I installed is just being used as Reserve??

Weird. 

Are you using the 32-bit version of Windows?  It will use about 3.2 GB of the first 4.0 GB of RAM, and "reserve" the rest. 

So, if you add 4GB of RAM, it will "reserve" 4676 (4096+580) GB.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation