cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
VMDO Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any problems with a Z840 Work Station paired with a Geforce GTX 980?

I have a Z840 and would like to install a Geforce GTX980 in it.  After physically installing the video card (and plugging in the PCIe power source), I receive a message saying something along the lines of "please connect the PCIe power source to power this graphics card."  Is there some type of incompatibility between this work station and this video card?

To gather some further knowledge, I pulled out the Geforce card and stuck in a Quadro K4000, fired it up, and it runs fine.   Even though the Quadro works, I would really like to use the Geforce card in this box.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

P.S. This thread ahs been moved from HP Support Center (Website) Feedback & Suggestions to Workstations - z series, xw series, and legacy x and w series. - Hp Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
234 234 35 68
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any problems with a Z840 Work Station paired with a Geforce GTX 980?

The GTX 980 has 2 6-pin power connectors, and needs 2 separate graphics power cables plugged into the card.  Did you use 2 graphics power cables from the Z840? 

Unused Z840 graphics cables are "parked" in the plastic part of the lower drive bay.  They look like they are plugged into the drive bay, but there is no electrical connection, they are only plugged there to keep them out of the way when they are not used.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation