cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
yatehaugan
Level 1
8 5 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

BIOME-1 error when running hardware diagnostic test for RAM

In the past few months I have been experiencing various blue screen errors during startup. Initailly, in the early stages I suspected it may be a hardware error but after running the hardware diagnostic tests (pressing F9 at startup) and having all tests passed I assumed it was a software issue, so I focussed my attention on that. However, today, I began to run the hardware diagnostic tests again and I found out that I had a RAM problem with the error code BIOME-1. Is it possible that the hardware diagnostic tests may not full capture all errors and that a RAM problem was the cause of the blue screen errors to begin with?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 5 JiriT
Level 5
203 203 19 54
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes this is possible. BIOS F9 test is only a simple test to provide information of the size and presence of RAM reporting to BIOS.

If you would like to validate the full functionality of DIMMs try running MemTest. This is the way to make complete memory functional testing. Utility is Freeware and is available here:

http://www.memtest.org/

If this utility will provide you with failure of appropriate memory module consider its replacement. If your system works in Dual Channel memory mode (having two modules in the same color slots you either need to purchase DIMM with exactly the same timeing or better to go for a pair of modules sold together for Dual Channel operation.

JT
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Highlighted
yatehaugan
Level 1
8 5 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I called HP support and they sent an engineer down. After opening the computer case, the cause of the problem was determined to be a RAM module that was not properly secured. After securing the RAM module, the blue screen errors did not reappear again. The engineer also ran some tests and confirmed that everthing was well.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation