cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Davi_Wat33 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Error When Installing GTX970 GPU

HP HPE h9-1150 Phoenix Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Specs: OS: Windows 10 Home System Model: HP Pavilion HPE h9-1150 Phoenix Motherboard: IPMMB-FM (Formosa); 1PCIE x16 Processor: Intel Core i5-3550 CPU @3.30GHz BIOS: AMI 7.07, 2/16/2012 GPU: NVIDIA GTX550ti Ram: 16GB Power Supply is 1000w

The PC runs fine when the original 550ti is installed. But as soon as a put in the new GTX970 I get a BIOS error. 3 beeps (~20 seconds in between each beep) and the the screen goes blank with a flashing underscore in the top left of the screen.

I have tried several things in the process of building and trying to resolve this issue (brand new RAM, new PSU). The PSU, RAM, and 550ti work great together so I have run out of ideas.

At this point I think it is a motherboard issue but I have no idea why my current board would not be compatible with the 970.

I do not have a secure boot configuration setting to enable or disable legacy mode in the BIOS. In trying to access the UEFI Firmware settings, I also come to find that I do not have that as a option either. I guess this means I don't have a UEFI MOBO.

At this point I thought about updating the BIOS but per the HP website it says any PCs that come equipped with Windows 7 or earlier versions are unable to get a BIOs update. This PC came with Windows 7 originally then I recently upgraded straight to Windows 10. There does seem to be an available BIOS update for Windows 8 on this particular HP model. However, I am hesitant to make that BIOs upgrade as I am relatively new to all of this and do not want to damage the MOBO if it isn't necessary.

So basically my questions at the moment are: Can I make a Windows 8 BIOs upgrade on a Windows 10 OS? Is my only option to get this new card to work getting a new MOBO?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

There is an identical BIOS update for both Win 7 and Win 8 (821.Rev A)  that includes UEFI security enhancements.

You could try extracting the update to a folder using 7 Zip and then run the batch file.

Some folks say it's okay to update the BIOS within an upgraded operating sytem, some folks say no.

This is a tough one because there are three potential outcomes:

1. The update works,

2. The update fails with no adverse effects,

3. The update borks the BIOS.

This creates a one in three chance you will have to have HP service your PC if outcome three happens.

I think you really need the update to initialize the 970.. You need to be able to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in the BIOS.

In some cases you may have to disable fast boot in the BIOS. Win 7 will require this.

Some HP PC's have a BIOS recovery option, please see here. You're still creating some risk though, if the BIOS update on Win 10 kills your motherboard and the BIOS recovery fails, or your PC does not support a BIOS recovery.

I am running an Envy 810-150se using BIOS version 8.20 on Win 7 with a GTX 970..

If you really want to use the card but play it safe then install the HP factory operating system on a new HHD or SSD using SATA0 with the factory graphics card installed. Do the BIOS update on Win 7.

1. Uninstall all current graphics drivers on the Win 10 installation before you do anything. Check Programs and Features a couple of times to ensure no older graphics drivers are on the Win 10 system.

2. Change BIOS settings to default.

3. Install Win 7 on a different HDD or SSD.

4. Do the BIOS update on Win 7.

5. Uninstall current graphics drivers on the Win 7 installation after the BIOS update completes successfully. Check Programs and Features a couple of times to ensure all previous drivers are gone.

6. Change BIOS settings: disable secure boot, enable legacy boot, and disable fast boot. 

7. Install the new graphics card on the Win 7 installation. You can install the Win 7 drivers if you want to use Win 7.

Reconnect the Win 10 HDD or SSD and you should be good to go. All that is left is to Install the Win 10 graphics drivers for the 970.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9678 9544 1286 3447
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The real answer is what you already knew........

Original BIOS can not be updated. The GTX550Ti card is legacy BIOS, the GTX970 is UEFI BIOS. That is the problem.  Your stuck with using only legacy GPU cards.  MSi has cards that support both.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I should have checked out your Home page.

This problem has been solved.

Live and learn.

Jay

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Then HP should fix the BIOS download link on Win 7 for the subject PC.

HP Pavilion HPE h9-1150 Phoenix Desktop PC:

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AD5)

8.21 Rev.A3.5 MBJun 16, 2015

Fix and enhancements

Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.
NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

Motherboard:

• Manufacturer name: Pegatron
  • Motherboard name: IPMMB-FM
  • HP/Compaq name: Formosa
  • SSID: 2AD5h

Jay

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation