cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jrhdallas
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

BIOS/UEFI corruption

HP Recommended
p7-1380t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a p7-1380t that has fans running, power light on, no beeps, and nothing on screen.  Tried clearing CMOS and removing all drives and battery.  Nothing.  Seen significant discussion online about this issue with the Joshua motherboard being corrupted switching to Windows 10 or back to 7.  Is there a way to restore original BIOS/UEFI.  I noticed a jumper labled "Bios Recovery".   Is there a solution or is the board toast?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The BIOS is protected when switching operating systems so that item can be taken off the plate.

The "BIOS Recovery" function requires special flash tools and should only be used by a trained HP service professional.

Remove the CMOS battery and check it with a volt-ohm-meter. If in doubt, just replace it.  It's a $4 item.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jrhdallas
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is the purpose of the bios recovery jumper on the Joshua system board? Can it be used to re-install the original Bios/UEFI to the board.  There is significant discussion on this forum and others about these boards developing corrupted bios/uefi.  I have never had this happen on a board before.....especially on one this new.  HP has to be aware of this issue.  Is their an easy way to re-install the bios/uefi or is the board trashed?

0 Kudos
jrhdallas
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery change and CMOS clear did no good.  Many people have reported issues with Windows 10 problematic installations corrupting the UEFI.  

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jrhdallas

You are posting wrong information about the W10 corrupting the BIOS when migrating from W7 with your PC.   It's time to move off that suggestion.

You might be having other issues since HP has never certified your PC for W10.

Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jrhdallas
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not “posting wrong information” about Windows 10 corrupting UEFI. Perhaps there is some miscommunication here.  I never stated that I tried to update Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I mentioned that many people indicated on this forum that they had BIOS/UEFI corruption issues associated with a change to Windows 10.  That is a fact. I do not know what has corrupted the Bios/UEFI on my computer….I only look for a solution other than buying a new system board or trashing  a 2-3 year old HP computer.  There are hundreds of people on this forum, and hundreds more on others, complaining about this problem, and yet, HP has offered no solution. 

I have asked repeatedly what the BIOS Recovery does and how to use it. No answer.

I have asked if there is a way to restore the original BIOS.  No answer.

I have asked if there is anyway to salvage this Joshua system board.  No answer.

The only thing that is obvious to all of us is that HP wants to deny any responsibility for a faulty product and deny any responsibility.  Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard would be horrified to learn what has become of their once great company!

Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jrhdallas

HP doesn't have an official presence on this forum.

Your question was answered about the BIOS recovery header on the motherboard.  You might trying searching the forum for a BIOS recovery tool. I did see a tool sometime ago but it's not common tool to use without experience. You are fortunate to get any comments about the BIOS recovery header as the internal HP experts don't post on any regular basis on this forum.

Read again what you posted about the corruption to the BIOS caused by W10 or switching back to W7. You will find little evidence on this forum pertaining to proven facts that W10 or W7will cause BIOS corruption.

I suggest that you contact HP Support or go to a local competent PC repair shop for further assistance. Your other option would be to search the internet for "BIOS recovery" and see what others do for flashing BIOS. Many of HP BIOS updates are marked that there is no roll back to the previous release once the update has been installed.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation