Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SandraKas Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update and Recovery (family YAR, version A0.15)

HP All-in-One - 22-3116
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My computer is prompting me with the following update:

Headlined: HP BIOS Update and Recovery
This update is for BIOS family YAR, version A0.15.
Please select:
 - Update the BIOS on this device. (Requires restart.)
 - Create Recovery USB Flash drive: Creat an HP BIOS Recovery USB flash drive to recover another HP device.

- Copy: Copy BIOS image to any file location. (Advanced users)

We have not made any recent changes, installed any hardware or software, etc. The computer has been fine but does seem a little slower than it was. (My grandson uses the computer a lot for online games. Don't know if he may have downloaded games that are slowing the computer or visited sites which have attracted Malware, etc.)

Wondering if this is a prompt issued by HP for a normal update that I should do, or if there is something wrong and I should not do it. Computer literacy is minimal. . .good with using them, not good with understanding them.

Many thanks for any help that you can provide.

Specs:
HP All-In-One 22-3116
Windows 10 Home
Intel Celeron N3050 @ 1.6 GHz
4.00 GB RAM

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
20900 20573 2312 7727
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SandraKas, welcome to the forum.

I have asked the appropriate people within HP to look at your thread.  The message that you are receiving looks very suspicious to me.  I know that our granddaughter has downloaded many viruses with her games.  So, I would suggest that you ignore the message for now and run your antivirus app to make certain that you don't have a virus.  Also, I like SuperAntiSpyware (FREE Edition) for malware.  It does a great job.  If you download it read all of the messages carefully.  Many of these apps are adding software to your computer that you may not want or need.  You have to uncheck it to keep it from installing.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you  for your response, old_geekster. I hope that HP will respond in this thread also.

0 Kudos
SandraKas Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should have mentioned that in the pop-up window, there is a logo in the bottom left corner "American Megatrends." The HP logo does appear in the upper left, but I've seen enough phishing emails to know that is easily faked.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
20900 20573 2312 7727
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @SandraKas.

@SandraKas wrote:

I should have mentioned that in the pop-up window, there is a logo in the bottom left corner "American Megatrends." The HP logo does appear in the upper left, but I've seen enough phishing emails to know that is easily faked.

You are absolutely correct.  The additional information makes me believe that it is not a HP message.  I am certain that someone from HP will answer, possibly on Monday, since it is a holiday weekend.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation