cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Gamingdude Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update on a Alternate OS

HP Pavilion Slimline s3507c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm Trying to Update My Computer's BIOS but i came across quite a odd (and stupid) error when updating my BIOS, apparently my OS isn't compatible with the upgrade, but why does my OS effect the upgrade when the BIOS is Completely spereate from the OS itself? i want to know why i can't upgrade my BIOS because i'm not on Vista, what does my OS have to do with my BIOS? and i would also like to know how i can update my BIOS from a CD instead of this limiting installer that wont let me update because im on windows 10.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,541
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Biso update done inside the OS requires it be compatible, you can do it from a boot cd which bypasses the OS.

0 Kudos
Gamingdude Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am aware of that, but i can't find a BIOS update file that isn't a installer from HP.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,541
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sometimes they do not provide an offline installer, then you have to use the windows utility.

0 Kudos
Gamingdude Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this really makes me question a lot of things, what does having a certain OS have to do with my BIOS? i could have updated on vista then imediantly go to windows 10 with no side effects, or i could update via a CD on boot up, so this OS requirement is absoulute **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,541
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"what does having a certain OS have to do with my BIOS? "

Nothing, it is how HP decided to package the bios update. They assume you will be using the OS that came installed from the factory.

0 Kudos
Gamingdude Honor Student
Honor Student
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

heh heh, Vista is pretty much dead at this point so of course i'm not on the OS that came with my PC.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,541
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you need to update the bios, install a spare drive in place of the drive you have installed, Install Vista, then run the bios update, put the old drive back in, its the only solution you have to update the bios unfortunately.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation