cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
billytec
Level 3
41 27 4 6
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

BIOS changes to no HDD by itself.

HP Recommended

The computer is HP Pavilion p6-2133w. Product # QW728AA#ABA. Windows 7 32bit. No changes have been made. This started about two weeks ago. After shut down and reboot the BIOS changed the HDD to disabled. Computer would not boot, just a black screen with a flashing curser. On shut down and reboot I have to go into cmos to change the HDD back to enabled and the computer will boot back into Windows. I have never seen a BIOS change itself by itself before. Does anybody have any ideas? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,771 5,007
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

billytec,

Based upon your observation of cold start versus warm-boot, I would suggest you change the CMOS battery.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
billytec
Author
Level 3
41 27 4 6
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi wb2001,

Thanks for your in put. I will check on that cmos battery as soon as I can. I'll let you know if this cures my problem. But remember, the only change going on is the HDD goes disable and nothing else. I'll get by the store to pick up a new battery hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

btk (billy the kid)

0 Kudos
billytec
Author
Level 3
41 27 4 6
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok Guys,

I may have more information now that I did not have when I posed this question. I have found that someone had switched from my wired cable modem to my wireless cable modem without shuttling down the computer first. I feel like this may be the cause of the COMOS chip disabling the Hard Disk Drive by its self. I will continue to monitor this situation and report to you about my findings. So far the computer is working just fine at this time. It has had about three days worth of work to do and no problems to report.

btk (billy the kid)

0 Kudos
billytec
Author
Level 3
41 27 4 6
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well boys and girls the original problem of this computer disabling the HDD seems to have been caused by someone changing from the wired modem to the wireless modem without shutting down the computer first or changing from the wireless modem to the wired modem without shutting down the computer first. So far there has been no occurrence of this problem since the above situation has been addressed. Thanks for your input and your help. I'm going to say this problem has been solved.

btk (billy the kid)

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation