cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FecalFace Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS update taking too long?

I recently downloaded an update to my BIOS here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3209083&lang=en&os=228

According to Ubisoft support, this BIOS update and an update to my sound card would fix the issues i've been having with Far Cry 2.

Now the problem is this BIOS update.. it won't end. Or really do anything. It has been going for 15+ hours and it still says "Please wait... Update in progress..." I have contacted HP twice already and they said my best bet was to just wait a few more hours and see if it finishes. Well, that was a few more hours ago, and It hasn't finished or anything. 

I'm afraid to close it in the middle of it's update because that could screw things up on the motherboard, but seriously, how long will this take? How do I know it's even done anything?

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition, with SP3.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
24,342 20,804 2,365 7,912
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FF, at this point, I am not too optimistic on your outcome.  You are correct in being skeptical of stopping the update.  However, I don't believe that you have much choice in the matter.  It appears that something is not working properly.  This may be the demise of your computer.  A failed BIOS update is a great way to make an expensive "boat anchor".

Hopefully, someone will have better advice for you.  I can't think of a way to solve your dilemma.

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

FecalFace Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I waited a few MORE hours, and it now says its finished. That took about 20 hours to do, Im going to restart my computer and see what I get.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
24,342 20,804 2,365 7,912
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FF, this may be a good omen.  Hopefully, the system will boot with no problems.
-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Awesome, it started up fine. I just hope everything insalled properly, but It seems to be fine.
0 Kudos
charan10 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have updated the bios, and nothing resolved

so i want to restore the original bios so i used the win+b button and strtd

the beep sound is coming

but the bios resore is not taking place, i mean i cant see it due to the display problem

how much tim did it take to restore

shall i off my laptop

or should i wait

it is taking so many hours

0 Kudos
michaelleeander Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I came home yesterday there was an icon notification I checked to see what was up and was informed to restart as my laptop needed a BIOS update. When I restarted it informed me that it may take a few moments. It's been twenty five hours and its still processing. My warranty ran out in August is this the HP sales pitch or what.
0 Kudos
joepadz Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just started the update on my son's PC.  It's been running for 90 minutes so I guess he won't be happy when he gets home from school & still has 15 hours left so he can't use his PC.

Kind of strange since the Windows 10 update only took about 2 hours.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation