Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Culjakmarko Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS update

Elite 7300 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I own HP Elite 7300 MT and I recently bought MSI GeForce 960 graphics card. I put it in my computer and it just got stuck at the startup screen. I've been looking for the answers on various forums and most of them were saying that I have to update my BIOS in order to make my card work. Since I didn't find any available BIOS update for my machine at HP support page, I'm wondering if it's possible to update my BIOS to a more recent version without any bad consequences.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14023 1325 3145
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS update

Culjakmarko

I would advise strongly AGAINST hacking around with BIOS updates -- for two reasons.

First, the BIOS is tightly integrated with the hardware built into the motherboard and HP contracts their motherboards to be custom designed and built for them.  There is no such thing as a "generic" BIOS that will work across different kinds of motherboards.  IF you force the flash of an incompatible BIOS, it will turn your PC into an "electric brick".

Second, HP makes their BIOS updates OS-version-specific, which means, if you wanted to do a BIOS update released for Win7, you should have done that BEFORE updating to Win10. If you try to run it in Win10, it will error out.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Culjakmarko Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS update

Is there any way i can make the card work on my computer without buying a new one?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation