Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rbr2856 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS upgrade killed my Pavilion 550

Pavillion 550-036
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP 550-036 desktop running Win 10.  Last week I received an upgrade notice from the HP tool installed on the computer.  I downloaded and started to install the upgrade.  It went smoothly for a while, then told me it was going to upgrade the BIOS and reboot. It said I would receive a few beeping noises and the monitor would go blank after the reboot.  It prompted me to go ahead with the upgrade and reboot; I accepted. I received a few beeps, and the monitor went blank, but the desktop never booted up. I left it alone for about 9-10 hours - no change.  Now I cannot get it to reboot or go into the bios. I tried the power reset - no change. I tried my system recovery disk - no change. i tried the F10 bios reset - no change.  The system has power; the power lite goes on and off.  I can hear the fan, but i do not hear the disk drive.  I cannot get into the BIOS at all.  What is wrong?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES
Yaky17 Tutor
Tutor
13 1 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What was the new BIOS version that you downloaded and tried to install?

0 Kudos
rbr2856 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure what the BIOS version was.  I received a notice from the HP support tool about an upgrade. It probably came in on 11/8 or 11/9. but I do not remember the exact date.  I trusted HP not to do anything that would harm or disable my computer. In retrospect, that was a mistake.

0 Kudos
Yaky17 Tutor
Tutor
13 1 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's really unfortunate. I saw that there was a BIOS upgrade (A7 07) for my computer (Pavilion 569) on the website a couple of days ago. I tried to install it via two different methods and it failed verification on one method and said it was incompatible on the second method.  Needless to say I stopped trying after that.  I don't think it should be posted i the downloads section of my computers support page as it seems to be the wrong BIOS firmware. Dangerous!

0 Kudos
rbr2856 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes.  This is totally ridiculous.  I tried the BIOS reset procedure and all the other "solutions"; nothing works.  It looks like I will be scrapping this Pavilion 550 or doing a hardware replacement.  I bought it in January.  If HP has integrity then they would fix it at cost.  I did not ask for a BIOS upgrade; HP sent it to me.  This is probably the shortest lifespan of any computer I have ever owned.  I had an eMachine that ran XP for about 10 years.  I barely got 10 months out of this HP Pavilion. It will be a long time before I trust this company again.

0 Kudos
hyperqube Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

same thing happened with me.  this is compoletely beyond  ridiculous

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation