cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lonster52
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

BIOS

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion P6130y with the factory BIOS (American Megatrends 5.15 from 6/23/2009.  I never had issues with they system hanging and a black screen so I never updated the BIOS back in 2010.  Now I am getting the error and downloaded the executable to flash the BIOS from the HP site.

When I try and run the downloaded file I get an error telling the security certificate is invalid or expired.  I checked the certificate and found that, in fact, the certificate expired 12/18/2011.  I have been unable to find an updated certificate or any options on how to work around this.

Any ideas?  I'm thinking my only option may be to go to American Megatrends site but HPwarns against getting BIOS updates directly from anyone but them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What Windows is installed now?  Is it Windows 7 or Windows 10?

The install routine says it will only work on Windows 7 or Vista.  That might be the problem for it not installing. 

The problem described is probably not BIOS related, however.

Please explain just what is happening " Now I am getting the error"  Explain when and what  happens in detail for better help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Lonster52
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
windows 10

When I restart the computer after a full shut down, the computer will hang with a black screen. There doesn't appear to be any disk activity during this period.

If I do a hard restart during the hang the computer will fully start.
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That almost sounds like capacitors failing.  On a motherboard that old, that could be the problem.  It might be time to move on, or you can start replacing capacitors.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
Lonster52
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Not ready, and probably not qualified to start replacing capacitors. Also, capacitors rarely fail. But, thanks for the idea. (I did start thinking about replacement & cloning yesterday but not sure I want to discuss it with the wife.)

I'm still thinking BIOS because this issue is exactly what the 2010 update was supposed to correct.

I'm also wondering if it could be the CMOS battery? I can't remember if I've replaced it on this board.
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Normally a CMOS battery will cause the clock to be off, too.  But considering the battery to be only a few dollars, give it a try.

BTW: the idea that capacitors rarely fail is true but there was a time when it was  widely happening with the components that motherboard manufacturers were using.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Lonster52
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Box is attached to a surge protector deck that is switched off every time the computer is shut down. I started doing this after watching an A+ instructor, 15 years ago, hack a computer that was "off". I figured no power to the box no hard drive.

Today I started to leave the surge protector on to see if this solved the problem. Not sure what this will mean but, If it solves the problem it may point to low battery or, as you speculated, bad capacitors.

Thanks for your input. I'll let you know what happens.
0 Kudos
Lonster52
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
We'll, no change in problem after leaving the surge protector deck on for 5 hrs while computer off. It did restart after being off for 30 min though.
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,618 10,614 990 2,991
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I used to do that also.  I would shut the power to PC with the switch on the surge protector after the PC was off.  I stopped doing that because it was causing a problem.  I cannot remember what problem it created now - long time ago- but that fixed things for me.  See if that straightens this problem out.  It might only be a stop gap but wait and see.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation