Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

BM.exe on an HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX ?

HP Recommended

A few months ago, I got an HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX with pre-installed 64-bit Vista.

More recently, I noticed that the BM.exe program included in its startup menu would seldom run more than a minute after a reboot without shutting down with an error message (details not recorded)

Even more recently, I found a reason to run the Norton Internet Security program that came pre-installed on this machine in the next higher scan mode than the default.  It then reported that this BM.exe file looked like it could be malware and had no certificate indicating what company it came from, and therefore shouldn't be allowed in the startup menu.

Is this file even supposed to be included in the pre-installed 64-bit Vista for that machine?  If so, is there a newer version that runs properly, comes with a suitable certificate, and in entered in Norton's database of software that isn't a virus or other malware?

Also, what directory should it be in?  It seems to have disappeared from my machine when I let the Norton program deactivate it in the start menu; recent searches of the whole C: drive have been unable to find it.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 8
2,491 2,488 134 244
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Highlighted
Author
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks,  Looks like the Norton Internet Security program got around to deleting it sometime in between the time I gave it permission to disable it on the startup menu and the time I got your reply.  Seems funny that it didn't keep any record of doing this, though.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation