cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
QMax Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Basic questions about a clean upgrade to Windows 7 x64

Hello, I own a Pavillion m9563it desktop PC, running Vista 64 bit, ad I bought a Win7 Home Premium Upgrade.

Some basic questions before to upgrade:

1) I'd like to do a clean install, removing all Vista files. Should I left the Factory Image partiton untouched ?

2) Is there a way to create a new Factory Image partition with the new OS in case I'll ne a complete 7 recovery ?

3) About HP software.

My Factory installation comes with a lot of HP software. Running Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, I found that many  installed programs are compatible with 7, like LightScribe System Software, PowerDirector, Power2Go, muvee Reveal, LabelPrint, CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe, and some other need an update, like HP MediaSmart DVD.

Lookin on HP support/driver download/Windows 7 x64, I've found only HP MediaSmart DVD and some other hardware drivers.

What should I do to have all HP software installed like in my actual Vista x64 installation ?

Thanks.

Max

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
uburpee Tutor
Tutor
15 13 1 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Max - bascially you're screwed - that's  the beauty and worthlessness of HP OEM-installed software. The Factory Recovery partition will be useless to re-install or reconfigure WIn7 so it can be scrapped - of course  -you should have already made recovery DVDs. That way you can restore the PC to "new" condition in the event you ever sell it or give it away.

Windows 7 Home Premium is the "basic" version of Win7  -and does not contain backup software to recover an entire operating system. (at least that's what the "current message is from MS.")

I don't know how much -if any- of the HP pre-installed software can be reproduced or reinstalled into any "clean install." Although it would be nice if HP engineers wouls supply a system utility and publish the methods to do so. (don't hold your breath) It depends of each software package and how they check for HP oem machine status.

Have a great day - and let me know how shopping for all new software goes......

Message Edited by uburpee on 10-27-2009 07:30 AM
Message Edited by uburpee on 10-27-2009 07:31 AM
0 Kudos
vores Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can reinstall lightscribe at this link http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00208298  by running the update on page. It reinstall lightscribe.
0 Kudos
QMax Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe a reply from HP support could help many of us...

Why don't you create an HP Driver/Software CD (like the one you ship with the free Win7 Upgrade program) ISO downloadable from Support Site ?

@uburpee

For sure I'll do a complete HDD backup (including hidden partition) before install WIn7, and burn Recovery DVDs for Vista.

I'm thinking about Acronis True Image 2010, not so expensive, and it seems to me that is able to create a new hidden partition for F11 system recovery... but I'm not sure it will work with HP F11 BIOS command.

@vores

Thanks for download link for lightscribe, but reading from [Link Removed – Site No Longer Available], this is only an update, it needs and installed system software.

I'll try to find where to download italian language version, the same that's actually installed on my PC.

Message Edited by QMax on 10-28-2009 02:02 AM
0 Kudos
QMax Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Guys, maybe I've found a way to extract HP software from hidden HP Recovery Partition:

First enable windows to show hidden/system files in Organize menu.

Open WinRar and open FACTORY_IMAGE DISK

Now You should be able to see (and extract) the entire  hp folder that include apps folder with (I hope) all HP installed software.

Extract all and should be possible to reinstall in a clean Win7 installation.

Non tested at 100%, need to test reinstall on Win 7

Max

0 Kudos
uburpee Tutor
Tutor
15 13 1 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All the drivers you need for a win7 upgrade are already available is several directories on both partitions. In theory you can back up any MS partition using "imagex" from Microsoft. Although, to start a system recovery from a restored "recovery partition" it will be necessary to know how to set the parition "active" - as the code providing a link to the BIOS "F11" button will be broken.........

My comments have to do with the loss of non-MS software......."disk burning" etc....

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
572 544 40 276
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey guys,

I think the easiest way to upgrade a system to Windows 7 and ensure you don't have a back out plan is to create recovery discs for your pc. To do that go to All Programs, PC Help and Tools and select Recovery Disc Creation and then just follow the instructions.

Next - check out your products web page on HP.COM. From the www.hp.com screen click on the Support and Drivers link, then in Step one select Download Drivers and Softtware (and firmware), then type in your produt number, like d5000t and click go.

Select the OS you want, and all the drivers and software that are available for that PC would be listed there. As I go through this myself, I'm not finding a lot, but there are some.

Once you have that, I'd do the upgrade, that's the best way to keep things intact.

Step by Step instructions are located on this document:

http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&charset=utf-8&qt=c01778879&la=en

and there is a message in there about how HP is posting drivers as soon as they are finished testing them...here is the quote:

NOTE: HP is currently in the process of testing and qualifying drivers to support the public release of Windows 7. Drivers are posted to the HP Customer Care Website as soon as the drivers have completed a testing and qualification process. These drivers are intended for use in the full release version of Windows 7.

Hope that helps

I'm an HP employee
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation