cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Aitch-PLarry Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Before changing cmos battery, must I...?

Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(introductory note:  it took weeks for my desktop to get repaired under extended warranty, during which time the motherboard was replaced, oh, maybe three times by two repair centers!   It turned out to be a Windows problem somehow related to the video drivers.  Out of the blue, mind you, but something that developed after a Win10 update.  I believe I turned off future updates; we'll see.  BTW, the second repair facility reports a flood of boxes are being sent to them following upgrades to Win10. )

====================================

MY REASON FOR WRITING TODAY...

Got the macnine back and it works, but the time and date are coming up wrong every morning.  I expect to replace the CMOS battery and have two questions about the procedure.

1. Must I try to view my BIOS setup first and record the settings before changing the battery?  This is not mentioned on the HP site where the battery-changing steps are shown.

2. According to instructions on the HP site, after discconnecting all the connection cables (why all?) and finally the power cord, I must push the power button.  However, this step is not shown in the accompanying video.  Is it necessary?

Referenced URL:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph04375

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Joshua_Nuñez Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! From your number 1 question you asked if you need to save the settings before replacing the CMOS battery. in your case you dont have to save anymore, Because in your case if your computer does not save the current saved BIOS data it means that the battery is dead, Because it would be pointless if the battery is dead. And for your number 2 question, its a yes, you have to remove the chords from your computer for safety purposes of your computer. And good luck!
0 Kudos
Joshua_Nuñez Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And I think you dont have to push the power button anymore. Just follow the video instruction.
0 Kudos
Aitch-PLarry Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think you need to re-read my post.  The battery is not dead.

0 Kudos
Aitch-PLarry Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed up on this last night and saw that it was a good idea to push the power button before proceeding, because doing so helps drain the system of any residual electricity.  The tip is found on an HP page having to do with a hard reset.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation