cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mjcsjc1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Best Video Card for dual monitors for Compaq Presario SR5610F

HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario SR5610F.  I want to upgrade the Video Card so I can run dual Monitors.  What is the lowest cost card that will work with this machine?  The computer has the PCI Express Slot.  It only has a 250W power supply.  It there a card that can be purchased to upgrade the card memory to 256 MB, run dual monitors, and not have to change the power supply?  I do not need high end gaming card.

Thanks

MJCSJC1

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blew888
Level 4
127 126 5 15
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
What video connectors do your monitors support?  Most low end cards have vga and DVI connectors, should range you $30-$60.  If you are looking for dual DVI, nVidia has a 8600GT for about $100 but may need to get connector to power the card with your existing power supply.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
blew888
Level 4
127 126 5 15
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
What video connectors do your monitors support?  Most low end cards have vga and DVI connectors, should range you $30-$60.  If you are looking for dual DVI, nVidia has a 8600GT for about $100 but may need to get connector to power the card with your existing power supply.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
John_Butler
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings MJCSJC1,

Our company sells multi-monitor arrays with integrated stands, as well as the PCs and graphics controllers to drive them. If you're not doing any gaming and just need a dependable dual-output card, your case has full-height slots and can accomodate the most cost-effective models. Currently I would recommend an NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT or 9500GT. You can purchase them from various local or online vendors. If you want to expand to four monitors sometime in the future, consider the quad-output NVIDIA Quadro NVS 440 or the newest Quadro NVS 450. Both of those models can drive four monitors even from a lower-wattage power supply and with no fan noise. HP themselves sell these cards, as well as numerous online vendors. They're not cheap, though, and they're slower than the GeForce cards for stuff like animation, video and 3D.

Good luck, and please keep us in mind if you're ever in the market for multi-panel arrays.

Regards,

--John Butler

Digital Tigers, Inc.

www.digitaltigers.com

multi-monitor industry leaders since 2002

(800) 844-3721 * +1 770 840 0401

0 Kudos
firstspirit
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am looking for a four-monitor solution - I have an HP Pavilion A6720y - do you have any idea if that nvidia quadro nvs 450 card you mention will work in that machine? I do  have a big power supply and an open PCIE 16slot...

If you know, thanks for the info - it is hard to find any credible information on the web!

CPWagner

0 Kudos
John_Butler
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings CPWagner,

You can use a four-output NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420 PCIe x16 in the main x16 slot. That card runs about $500. Alternately, you can use a two-output Quadro FX 380 x16 in the x16 slot plus a Quadro NVS 295 x1 or Quadro NVS 290 x1 in one of the three x1 slots.

You can buy those cards direct from HP, or if you buy a turnkey quad-monitor array from digitaltigers.com, we sell them as accessories.

0 Kudos
firstspirit
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow! Now that is specific information!

I will definitely look up your company and keep it high on my list of good quality information!

Thanks.

CPWagner

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation