Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP compacq elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How can I customize the bios, i came into the bios after cmos reset, but I can not change passwords, grey scammed)

bought this at an auction.

Sorry for my poor English.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if removing the green password jumper allows you to set a password.

See the guide below, chapter 12, page 306.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5232859&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03...

If the green password jumper is missing from the motherboard, that would be the most likely reason you can't set a BIOS password.

The green password jumper should be located near the yellow clear cmos button.

That's where it is located on my 8200 Elite CMT.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but i see not a green jumper near de cmos button.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Check around the motherboard for one.

If you don't have one, there should be two pins sticking up from the motherboard where the jumper belongs.

As I wrote above, mine is right by the yellow clear cmos button.

There should be white lettering by the pins labling them as the password jumper settings.

Mine is labeled in white: PSWD

If the jumper is not there, you cannot set a password.

Since you bought the PC at an auction, you can't know what was done to it before you owned it.

Most likely it was a company that owned it, and they removed the jumpers to keep employees from setting BIOS passwords.

There is a stringent security setting, and if someone enables that, you cannot clear the password by removing the jumper.

So, you can see how a disgruntled employee could wreck the PC by setting a power on password that no one can remove, rendering the PC useless.

HP Recommended

I have look on te drawing and i see the green jumper on the drawing, but not by me.

Its a company pc by their server.

And find 2 pins near de battery, i try to post een picture.jumper.jpg

HP Recommended

It looks like you have to find out what the R149 jumper pins are.

Unfortunately I can't tell you if those are the password jumper pins.

I don't see anything labeled PSWD on your picture.

All I know is that if the password setting in the BIOS is grayed out, that means the password jumper must be missing.

You clear a BIOS password by removing the jumper, turn on the PC, password is cleared, shut down, unplug the PC, and put the password jumper back so you can set a new one if you want.

On my PC, I can set a BIOS password with the jumper connected. It is not grayed out.

HP Recommended

If i connect the 2 pins, its the same off a jumper, but i must be sure that are the correct pins.

HP Recommended

Yes, you would have to first confirm that is where the password jumper goes, because if you jumper the pins without knowing the consequences, you could wreck the PC.

And unforunately, I have no idea if that is or not since it is not labeled PSWD like the one on my PC's motherboard is.

HP Recommended

For the moment i install windows 7 back onto the computer, iff i have no problems i will not take the risk.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.