Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sailor99 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update for HP Pavilion a1550y

Pavilion a1550y
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and now my graphics card is not functioning correctly. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670 which I use so that I can have 2 monitors.  The graphics card worked fine with Windows 7, but not with Windows 10.  The error message in Device Manager is Your computers system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device and Firmware or Bios Update (Code 35).   My BIOS Revision: 3.16 08/11/2006 Phoenix - Award BIOS. Is there a BIOS update to this that I can try to see if it fixes the problem? If so, will I need to put Windows XP back on the computer to update the BIOS?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
7771 449 840
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @sailor99,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that you are trying to get your system to working with Windows 10, and you are having issues with the graphics adapter.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

Please verify and post the full product number for your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.  HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Depending on the operating systems supported and the BIOS files available for the model, I can see what I suggest. However up front if an available BIOS update was designed for Windows XP, it will not likely install, unless a required OS is installed. I the newest drivers available for the computer are for Windows 7, then those are the ones you will want to have completely updated, but since the system is old enough to have Windows XP drivers and BIOS updates, it is not likely to have WIndows 10 drivers available. The older a system is, the more likely it is going to have issues of some sort with Windows 10.

Anyway, please let me know the model information when you can.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
sailor99 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

My system product  number is EW173AV-ABA.  I have made a few upgrades to the computer including the graphics card listed in the message below which was updated several years ago.  I also updated the OS from XP to Windows 7 and now to Windows 10.  The graphics card worked fine with Windows 7.  I have also installed the latest graphics card driver.

I used Device Manager to delete the graphics card and then used Plug & Play to detect it.  It gave me a message that said This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12).  But when I reboot the computer it goes back to the message I detailed below with a Code 35.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 449 840
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thee do not appear to be any HP pages coming up for either a1550y or EW173AV-ABA. It may be that the system is so old that the support pages were removed.  Google is finding matches but none are HP.

That would support my earlier assertion that the components are very unlikely to function under Windows 10. I would recommend going back to Windows 7 as you have had it working in that environment. The only other option would be a wholesale upgrade of components in your system to parts that suport the Windows 10 operating system, but with the number of upgrades you would likely need, you would probably be better off with a new system.

Just my two cents.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation