cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Retired Bill_F
Retired
2,356 2,020 147 330
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black or blank screen with blinking cursor after entering Windows password

Desktop Notebook Tablet
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This document pertains to all HP computers and tablets with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (8.1).

You can also link directly to this document at this URL

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04572861 

Use the following steps if your computer stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor after entering the Windows password.

1. On the black screen, press Ctrl, Shift, ESC to open the Task Manager window.

note:     If the Task Manager window does not open, see Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

1. Click the Process tab.

1. Look for one or both of the following tasks:
  • Run Once Wrapper
  • Run Once Wrapper (32-bit)

Right-click the task, and then click the End task button. Windows should start normally.

1. On the Windows 8 start screen type Control Panel then click Control Panel in the search results. In Windows 7, click Start then type Control Panel, then click Control Panel in the search results.

1. From the Windows Control Panel, go to Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs.

Remove any of the following programs. Additionally, remove any other suspected programs that are not listed.

Remove these suspected programs:

Binkiland

SevenZip

Unchecky

Image Repair

SolutionReal

Vosteran

JetClean

Speed Browser

Web Bar 2.0.5273.16044

mypcbackup

Speed Checker

Wincheck

Omega Plus

Spy Clear

Word Proser

Optimizer Pro

Spyware Clear with PC Tech Hotline

WSE_Binkiland

Pepper Zip

Storm Watch

WSE_Taplika

Pro PC Cleaner

Strong Signal

WSE_Vosteran

Safe Search

Taplika

To resolve all other black/blank screen issues at boot, see Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

To resolve virus and malware issues, see About Spyware, Adware, and Browser Hijacking Software and Using Windows 8 Defender to Prevent Virus and Spyware Problems

I am an HP employee
4 REPLIES 4
Catra Tutor
Tutor
5 3 1 2
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is not what happens.  The screen goes black, no curser or anything, then it comes right back on to the same page I was on when it went out.  It doesn't happen when I login, it happens as I am on a webpage or playing a online game.

Provost
Provost
29,934 27,539 1,807 5,035
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Catra,

Why are you responding to the original post?  The title is quite clear in meaning.  I suggest that you start a new thread.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
shack62 Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not find RUN ONCE WRAPPER or any of the Other Programs you list on my computer.

shack62 Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sure this BLACK SCREEN of DEATH happened after the last Windows 8.1 Update, but I don't know exactly what caused it. And also the Background Picture seemed to be Disabled.  I could not click on it, and it turned Black.

As soon as I Restored Computer to the previous date, the computer was ok.  Now I am afraid to have Windows Updates enabled.  What is going to happen with the next update?

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation