cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AnThoR Tutor
Tutor
18 13 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BlackSOD on boot; no BIOS splash screen, no Win.(7 ) logo

MS215es All-in-one(MS200serie)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hi,

My HP Pavilion MS200 (MS215es) has been having BlueSOD for some time now (code error 7a). Last Tue. it seemed to have a crash during a BlueSoD crash dump... 1st time ever it happened. Sure enough, big problems started just after: first, PC did not power off like it always does after the crash dump; and it stayed on with Black Screen. When I tried to restart using the power off button, got my first BlackSOD ever, no blip, no cursor, no BIOS splash screen, no Windows logo, no nothing...

On (1st):
Then after abt 1h30, PC starts again (1st restart after initial BSOD), without me having done much, except trying to start it every now and then w/ start button.

Crash:
After abt 30mn of PC on, while trying to back up data w/ Windows7 back up tool, crash dump again and then BSOD.

On (2nd):
Just after that, I read on my smartphone abt the trick of unplugging PC power plug, while pressing power button and it works, PC starts once again (2nd time).

BSOD on restart:
I choose SafeMode, and try again to make a back up w/ Windows7 back up tool, and realise it s not avalaible in SafeMode so I restart computer... But goes straight into BSOD once again...

On (3rd):
Again, abt 1h later, without me having done much, except reading abt BSOD on my smartphone and trying to start the PC every now and then w/ start button, PC starts again (3rd).

Crash:
30mn later, while trying to make a back up of data in normal mode w/ Windows7 back up tool, BlueSOD once again...

I decide CHKDSK is needed before anything else, in case I manage to start PC again...

On (4th):
Which I do, abt 30mn later. Not sure if dumb luck or if the trick of unplugging PC and pressing power button worked again... Run 1st SFC /SCANNOW for abt 30min (everything normal, just 1 "repairing" on CBS.log). I leave computer on for abt 5h while I work next to it. I switch it off to run CHKDSK on next boot... Fails to switch off, I switch off manually. On 1st try, PC fails to boot, on 2nd it boots fine and CHKDSK launches for abt 2h. I then try to run Windows7 back up tool twice, no BlueSOD this time but get a "0x80070001" error... End of day, tired, I switch off PC to try and solve on next day... PC switches off fine (does not lead to BSOD w/out shutting off completely).

WED:
PC starts fine in the morning on 1st boot.
Crash:
I try again Windows7 back up tool (still w/error mentionned above that I am trying to solve), and abt 1h after start up, it leads to a crash and BSOD.
On:
1st restart does not work (BSOD); 2nd restart works. I finally manage to solve error code for Windows7 back up tool (deleted all 17 of my "mounted folders" according to a MS support page), but then get straight another error code when trying to back up (0x80070539 in EventViewer for VSS)... I need to leave and switch off the PC (switches off fine).
BSOD:
On the evening however, when trying to reboot the PC, nothing... Leads straight to BSOD. I start to think it may have something to do w/ dust since I had heat problems this summer and PC would power off (but would always restart fine). Don't know if had to do w/ moving PC to check screws etc, abt 1h after 1st restart try, boots again. But it's late again, I switch it back off fine to go to bed.

THU:
Starts fine when I wake up... Me thinking "phew"... However, when I come back to it abt 45min later, PC gets a BlueSOD crash dump, then fails to properly shut down and leads to BSOD once again...

Since then, seems I have finally run out of luck: zip, 0, nothing, not on a single try have I managed to turn it back on. And when I say nothing I mean NOTHING: not a single blip on the screen, not a single BIOS splash screen (which I had set up to display on each computer boot), and of course... no Windows logo.

After past week hanging on Google to try to find some clues to the exact problem /solution, am running out of hope !
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Retired
8,244 8,112 483 924
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @AnThoR,

Thanks for the post. 

I see you are getting blue screen error on your computer. Happy to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Have you run a system test on the computer.

Recommend you to run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated. 

Based on the specifications of your computer, your computer came with AMD m780G chipset. 

Download the driver from AMD website. Do not install the driver.

Uninstall the display driver from device manager, delete the driver when prompted. 

Restart the computer and install the driver you downloaded from AMD website. 

Also, run an extensive system test on your computer. Click here for assistance. If the test fails, then replace the failed component or contact our phone support for the service options. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AnThoR Tutor
Tutor
18 13 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

Sorry if my post was not clear: as the title of the post implies, it is all about BLACK Screen Of Death.

All the abbreviations "BSOD" used in this post are short for "BlackSOD".
The only mentions to BlueSOD have been using the abbreviation: "BlueSOD" (and not BSOD).

Again, sorry for confusion.

I have been having recurrent BlueSOD for the past 2/3 years, but nothing "serious" so far. CHKDSK would always solve ensuing problems if /when they came up.

Could you please update the solution for BlackSOD?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,244 8,112 483 924
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to try the same steps for the black screen as well. Run an extensive system test on the computer, make sure all the drivers are updated. 

If you have added any additional hardware to your computer, please remove and check for stability. 

Keep me posted. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AnThoR Tutor
Tutor
18 13 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But how can I do anything? I can't even access the BIOS with F10. Screen is black on start up and stays black.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,092 20,711 1,352 2,135
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AnThoR,

Thanks for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you tried to follow the steps suggested in the previous post but seems to have some issue, don't worry I'll be glad to help you from here.

Let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard Reset:

Completely resetting the computer can resolve many issues that cause a blank screen. Follow these steps to perform a hard reset:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards.

3. Disconnect the AC power adapter.

4. Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.

5. Reconnect the AC power adapter.

6. Turn on the computer.

Attempt a Bios Recovery

Connecting an external monitor to test the display

Reseat the Memory Module

Run the System diagnostics test as well as extensive test on the Hard drive and Memory from F2

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document - HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 😎 - Click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AnThoR Tutor
Tutor
18 13 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok thanks, I will try that instead. But my All-in-one MS215es runs Windows 7 SP1, are the steps the same?

I have already tried the "hard reset" as explained in my original post; it seems to have worked a couple of times, but seems to have stopped working now.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,092 20,711 1,352 2,135
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AnThoR,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AnThoR Tutor
Tutor
18 13 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure if you actually read my reply... I was asking about Windows 7 steps.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,244 8,112 483 924
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please try a BIOS recovery as suggested in this article and for other troubleshooting steps refer to this article

Though the previous article says Windows 8 and 10, most of the steps are similar. 

If possible, test the monitor on another computer.

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the service options for your computer. 

Let me know how it goes. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation