cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 8
1,506 1,473 80 316
Message 11 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot record

Hi
Your local drive in windows is C:\ sir you are correct .. But once inside the repair function of Windows your drive can and does get changed to a different letter EG :: d:\ .., So on that basis if you have as you say checked D:\ and typed dir and your Windows folder is not shown then if you change the directory search to C:\ and type dir you should see if Windows within the repair program is still listed as the C:\ partition
. And if you see the Windows folder installed within C:\ you should run the bootrec commands in the C:\ directory to repair your MBR .

Checkurtech
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
0 Kudos
Jack_L
Level 1
13 10 0 1
Message 12 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot record

I'm sorry I guess I'm not explaining this well.

When I type c: and then I get

c:\users\jack>

at that point I enter dir

I recieve  a list of files wich is my directory

I know windows is on the c: drive, I have (ooted it with (windows boot manager) in the startup menu we recieve with power on and F9. I hope this clarifies it for you.

I can certainly go to the C; drive and get the path to windows. You may not realize i'm using the machine thats failing.

a little wordy but accurate 

Jack

0 Kudos
Jack_L
Level 1
13 10 0 1
Message 13 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot record

Checkurtech

This is a new machine I've had it about a month. It came preloaded with W 7P.The first thing I did (before going on line) was create a repair dvd and my recovery dvds. I did this as per HP instuctions on my first start up. But neither would boot from the drive. I called support on this issue about missing or dammaged MBR. They went to the microsoft site and attempted to create a repair disk. the install wisard apparently hung in a loop trying to install the files on the DVD. 

Now, Using computer, click on C: I see the windows folder. what my delima is I have two users and guest defined .

when I use the command prompt I am not in the C:\ dir. I'm in C:\user\jack> I've tried to get to the C:\> but I dom't know how.

Jack

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jack_L
Level 1
13 10 0 1
Message 14 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot record

Checkurtech:

Looks like you've chosen to pass on this one. Thanks for your efforts.

I conversed with you, I used HP's phone support 3 times (worthless) they had no clue as to what we were talking about and hustled me off to microsoft, who esentially told me that a MICROSOFT repair disk was the resposibility of HP! In the end I took my machine, new and on HP warantee, to a local shop who diagnosed and repaired the problem for a fee.. It was simply a netbios boot sequence issue. In other words this machine was shipped to me with the error and none of the support staff I spoke to even sugested it. Would I recomend HP? Again, I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks

Jack  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation