Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (1,149 Views)
Accepted Solution

Boot sequence error due to high voltage through USB port

Hello,

I connected an external powerable Seagate hard-drive through USB port of my touchsmart PC and powered the drive using a 9V adapter instead of supplied 5V (was a mistake). The computer immediately shut-down (abnormally) and now when it boots up it does not recognize the boot drive. The dos prompt asks for the boot drive. Has my computer C drive been fried due to the higher voltage? (9 V vs. 5 V). Is there some way to rectify this error or if not at least can I recover the data from the hard-drive?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Boot sequence error due to high voltage through USB port

Hi,

You might try removing the hard drive and then put it in an external 3.5" USB enclosure and then test it on a different PC. This type of adapter could also be used to test the hard drive on another PC.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (1,132 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC along with the operating system that you are using.

Review the procedural steps that are outlined in this HP posted articles for your PC.

Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (1,094 Views)

Thanks Dave,

Sorry for the delayed reply...

My computer model number is hp touchsmart 300-1025 and operating system is Windows 7. I have not yet had a chance to review the articles you referenced. If any updates I shall let the forum know. Thanks again !

Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (1,076 Views)

Hello,

I also wanted to know...does HP send a recovery disc along with a new PC or is this something the user needs to create? I bought my HP touchsmart  300-1025 (Windows 7) in March 2010. I am looking for my recovery CD but am unable to locate it at home. I have found the recovery CD for my old Dell computer. I do not recall if I got one with my new HP.

Thanks,

Provost
Message 5 of 8 (1,067 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You can create your own HP Recovery media.  See the following recovery post for your Touchsmart.

You can also order the recovery media from HP.

Top Student
Message 6 of 8 (1,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Dave (again)

However, I think the problem is the hard-drive is not being recognized. I tried the follwoing based on the posted HP articles

1) Used <F10> on startup and reset BIOS using <F5>  but no success.

2) Using <esc> option while booting up (boot menu) I get following error "3rd master hard disk error. Press <F2> to continue" and then nothing happens. Need to power down only.

3) Using the <F9> option (diagnostic) I get the following error code "BIOHD-2". Also the following warning " No drives detected. Turn off your system and verify the drive cables are securely attached".

Since the problem started with 9V through USB port it may be a drive issue. Do you think "reseating" the hard drive will work? This seems only available option left to do.

Thanks

BTW during diagnostic test I got following info about the machine (not sure if any of this is helpful)

Product: NY537AA-ABA

Model: 300-1025

Serial:[Personal Information Removed]

Software build: 94NAV6PrA3

Provost
Message 7 of 8 (1,045 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You might try removing the hard drive and then put it in an external 3.5" USB enclosure and then test it on a different PC. This type of adapter could also be used to test the hard drive on another PC.

Top Student
Message 8 of 8 (982 Views)

Thanks Dave,

I initially tried reseating the drive (opening, disconnecting and reconnecting) as per HP posted article but that did not work. Finally placed drive in a hard-drive docking station connected to another PC and still did not recognize, but removed placed again in docking enclosure and finally it did see the drive. Was able to back-up necessary documents. Returned home and reinstalled drive in touchsmart PC and it works now.

Apparently the external power from the docking enclosure or the physical act of doing this rectified the problem.

The takeaway is when connecting an external powered drive to computer make sure the correct voltage is applied to external drive. I thought the power went only to the motor driving the external drive but apparently it goes back through the USB port to the computer ???

Thanks again for all your help Dave - would not have worked without your suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation