Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Phoenix Envy 810-150se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Both my wireless adapter card and optical drive are not recognized in Device Manager.  I checked the Hardware trouble shooter and there is no optical drive present.  I went through the trouble shooting steps for the wireless adapter, like reinstalling the Mediatek driver but no success.  I think it's odd that both would fail at the same time.  Any thoughts?

I also tried a Windows Restore, but got a did not complete successfully message.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Typically something along that line will happen because of another event.  Did Windows update or some other software get installed between the time it workd and when you noticed this problem?

Did you try a restore when doing according to this guide?

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks OldMan, there was a recent Windows update but that was about a week before this happened.  I tried the Windows System Restore to two prior times but got the "did not complete successfully" dialog.  My optical drive doesn't even open.  It's not listed in the BIOS and the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI).  The wireless adapter is also missing, I tried the reinstall with HP Recovery and nothing happened.

Another odd thing that happened at the same time is my display went blank, I have it hooked up to the DVI.  I plugged in to the HDMI and it started working.  I unplugged the HDMI and it still worked.

HP Recommended

Sounds as though an event caused this problem.  Since it is a desktop, I would try disconnecting the optical drive, then  restart the computer and use it for awhile.  Shut down and reconnect the optical drive to see if Windows then sees it again.  Considering the strange events, it could be these troublesome items where damaged and need to be replaced.  Start with the easiest to get to, the optical drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Appreciate the suggestion, I'll try it tonight and I'll unplug the Wifi card while I'm at it.

HP Recommended

Here's the sad update.  I unplugged the optical drive SATA cable and used the PC for a few hours then plugged the drive cable back in.  Windows still did not recognize the drive.  By the way, I used View->Show hidden devices in Device Manager and the optical drive and Wireless adapter showed up as faded icons.  I selected properties and both were shown as disconnected.  As one last try, I unplugged the optical drive SATA cable then uninstalled the drive in Device Manager.  Plugged it back in and this time it was totally gone.  Device Manager, Scan for hardware changes didn't do anything.  I did a shut down and removed the AC each time I did these steps.

As one last check I used my DVM to check the voltages on the SATA power cable and they were correct, +3.3, +5.0 and +12.0 volts.

Apparently the Wireless Adapter is located under the cooling fan so I didn't mess with that.

I am officially calling these two components dead and have resorted to a WiFi USB adapter and an external USB CD drive.

I might try a third party optical drive later, but is there any chance that the SATA bus on the mother board is dead?

HP Recommended

When you resorted to a WiFi USB adapter and an external USB CD drive did they then work OK?

The DVD/Bluray drives are relative cheap and esy to change.  It would be interesting to see what you then find out about the SATA bus, but a different connection is always possible.  There are 6-SATA ports to choose, with SATA0 and SATA1 facing the edge of the board and then SATA3 thru SATA5 in a cluster in the same corner.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The Netgear A6210 WiFi USB Adapter works fine, I haven't tried the USB CD Drive yet but it worked with my laptop.  A third party optical drive is 40 bucks so I think I'll try it when I have some time.

I did have to copy the Netgear installation CD to a USB stick, then run the stand alone Windows driver installation from the stick, which worked.

HP Recommended

As my final post, I report that my Buffalo USB optical driver both reads and burns and was Plug and Play with Windows 10.

Summary:  My optical drive and wireless adapter failed and were unrecoverable.  I replaced them with a USB Wifi and optical drive.  Up and running.  The failures are mysteriously coincidental.

Thanks OldMan for your attention and support.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.