Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 24 B010 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Can I install 2 8 gig ram dims in this machine? How do I safely remove the back panel?
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@ThomCad3, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide for the computer.  On Page 12 you will find a guide on upgrading the memory.  It shows how to remove the back.

The maximum memory is 16 GB (See the section titled "Memory upgrade information).  If the computer came with one 8 GB stick, you should try to match it.  Different brands of memory can cause problems.  If it came with a different configuration (2 x 4 GB) for instance, you will have to buy 2 x 8 GB of new memory.  You can use HP Partsurfer to find the correct memory.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Thanks for the info.
I read the downloaded upgrade form.
What is that cartridge-like thing you have to unscrew from the board? Is is not possible to just take out the RAM dimms and put new ones in?
Cheers,
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ThomCad3.

Here is a video of disassembly of the 23 series AIO:

It is not the same as yours, but it should be similar.  It should help you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Yes, I found a video similar to this one.
I wish there was a way to tell if there are 2 - 4 gig dimms or 1 - 8 gig dimm in the PC, before opening. If there is only one 8 gig dimm, then I am safe to buy another (1) 8 gig dimm. But if there are 2 - 4 gig dimms, then I shoul have bought two new 8 gig dimms to start with.
Question: (The upgrade pamphlet says 2, 4 and 8 gig dimms can be used.) Do those dimms have to be matching pairs??
I found the specific part on New Egg. There is the HP brand part and another brand that says ''for use in HP (and other) laptop computers.'' The other brand is about half the price of the HP, for the same part, but still a well recognized brand.
I have seen HP and other brand AIO PCs advertised to have 12 gig of RAM. That suggests that the PC contains one 8 gig and one 4 gig dimm.
In that case, I would be safe to buy one 8 gig dimm. And I could run my new PC with 12 gig of RAM - or - I could buy another to match the first one.
What are your thoughts? ? ?
HP Recommended
I strongly suspect that there are two 4 gig dimms in the PC, simply because that would (most likely) be cheaper for the PC maker. . . . But still I hate to purchase more RAM based only on my assumption. Hmmmmm . . . .
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @ThomCad3.

I wish that I had better information for you, but I have seen AIO's come with 2 x 4GB and 1 x 8GB.  It is difficult to know how yours is configured.  It would be worth your effort to open the case to check.  Then, I would contact Crucial Memory to see if they have the memory that you need.  They make good memory of OEM computers.  In fact, HP uses their memory is some of their computers.

HP Recommended
Thanks again Old Geekster,
Since you mentioned brand names, the brand New Egg carries is (besides HP) is Kingston. The description of the part says 'for specific applications' and then names the laptops it will work in, including HP/ Compaq.
My lingering question . . . Will my PC work with one 8 gig and one 4 gig dimm??
Thanks for your time and effort.
Cheers,
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ThomCad3.  Kingston is another brand that HP uses in their computers.  Whichever brand you decide to buy, I would contact their Tech Support to see what they have to say about using a 1 x 8GB and 1 x 4GB sticks.  I feel like this would be a good configuration.  If you open the computer the brand name and other necessary information will be on the memory stick/s installed.  Matching it will be important to eliminate possible conflicts.

HP Recommended

I found the answer to my question in the "System Specifications" on my new PC. I was reading through the Windows System files and found "Specifications" about THIS Computer.  According to "Specifications" found ON this PC, This computer has 8 Gig (1 dimm) of Samsung Ram in Slot 1. Yeah! 

Wouldn't you know I have seen every OTHER brand of RAM but Samsung on New Egg and Amazon. I will have to search a little more before I "Open up" my new PC and put another dimm in it.

Thanks for your help. Thanks for listening to me ramble . . . .

I will post again after I install more RAM.

Cheers.

Thom

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.