cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KB750
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

CDs or DVDs will not play or spin or burn

HP Recommended
desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have tried & read every solution to this problem. Month old HP Envy 750-114. W10. Can not play or burn cds or dvds. Proven the cds and dvds work fine in other computers, both for play and burn..Never has worked in this new one..At times I hear one beep or two as I insert cd but it does nothing - Other times I hear no beep..Get a message to insert disc, altho one is already in.. Not play or show up anywhere & hear no spin.. Shows in Device Manager.. Have Cyberlink, plus Media Player and Vlc installed..

.Plus autoplay never comes on as I have checked and appears it is set to come on, but doesn't..

On other PCs I have done all of this with no problems on HPs for 15 years..

I see many having same problems, but remember this PC came with Wind 10, it was not transfered from 8 or any other OS.

Thanks in advance...Jan. 24, 2016

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,771 5,007
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All the apps you mentioned are "players".  You need to open the Autoplay app to select what happens and with what program to use as your default.  This also is an excellent read on the suject of Autoplay and options.  Now about that nasty burner... To burn a cd/dvd read all of this content. It's discussion really details the issues about WIN 10.  Also, this article explains other lost programs and the remedies.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
KB750
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your info -- but it didn't solve my problem...

I have AUTOPLAY settings clicked :  -- "use autoplay for all media and devices..then farther down under dvds and cds etc

.  have checked :"ask me everytime" ...In fact I tested to download picture from a digital camera and it worked fine and went into my choosen setting for camera storage....In last few days as I have been struggling to get this working I had had specific default devices choosen in the autoplay and it did not work for the cds or dvds..

No idea what else to do. As I say have worked with cds and dvs for many years on other HP computers (XP & Vista) with no problems at all..

Am desprite here..Thanks in advance..

Device manager reads under DVD/CD - ROM  drives :   hp HLDS DVDRW GUD0N

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation