cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Len62
Level 1
9 6 0 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

CPU upgrade

HP Recommended
hp envy 700-214
Windows 8.1

I know my mother board supports CPU upgrades per your web information. I am curious if it will support an i5-4690K? Current info shows it will accept the 4670, will a bios update be needed, and if so, will HP release it?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,022 24,673 2,881 10,674
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Len, welcome to the forum.

The processors in the supported list have been tested to assure that they work properly in the motherboard.  If it is not on the list, it doen't necessarily mean that it won't work.  It means that there is no guaranty that it will work.  You are on your own.  The "K" means that the multiplier is unlocked and it can be overclocked.  HP doesn't allow for overclocking on their motherboards; except for their gaming computers.  You would be paying for a feature that you can't utilize.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,022 24,673 2,881 10,674
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Len, welcome to the forum.

The processors in the supported list have been tested to assure that they work properly in the motherboard.  If it is not on the list, it doen't necessarily mean that it won't work.  It means that there is no guaranty that it will work.  You are on your own.  The "K" means that the multiplier is unlocked and it can be overclocked.  HP doesn't allow for overclocking on their motherboards; except for their gaming computers.  You would be paying for a feature that you can't utilize.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Len62
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 4690K install went fine. The K version was actually cheaper to buy. I did update the BIOS and UEFI drivers first. Just in case anyone else asks.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation