Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Can I add a high-end Nvidia card to either of my desktops?

HP Recommended

Can I add one or more high-end Nvidia card to either of my desktops?

One is a SR5125CL, the other is a d5200t.  The software I want to run on them will not accept ATI cards instead.

The GPUGRID project, where I want to participate more, prefers cards in the GTX 275 to GTX 295 range; I do not want to buy any before knowing whether they will even fit in the case.

I've read that they may require a power supply upgrade; any information on that?  What about information on whether the cooling is likely to be adequate?

No need for matching new monitor(s), just the graphics card(s).

Also, where could I find estimates on how many watts of power these machines now use, so I can guess whether I can stand the heat from the increased power use?

Message Edited by milesrf on 10-18-2009 02:54 PM
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,937 22,597 2,615 8,917
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@milesrf wrote:

Can I add one or more high-end Nvidia card to either of my desktops?

One is a SR5125CL, the other is a d5200t.  The software I want to run on them will not accept ATI cards instead.

The GPUGRID project, where I want to participate more, prefers cards in the GTX 275 to GTX 295 range; I do not want to buy any before knowing whether they will even fit in the case.

I've read that they may require a power supply upgrade; any information on that?  What about information on whether the cooling is likely to be adequate?

No need for matching new monitor(s), just the graphics card(s).

Also, where could I find estimates on how many watts of power these machines now use, so I can guess whether I can stand the heat from the increased power use?

Message Edited by milesrf on 10-18-2009 02:54 PM

The determining factor will be the power supply unit (PSU) in each computer.  The SR5125CL does not list the PSU wattage in the specs.  I believe that it will be no more than 350W at most.  The PSU in the d5200t is 460W.  Therefore, the GTX 275 which requires a minimum of 550W and the GTX 295 which requires a minimum of 680W, will not run in either computer.  Also, I am not certain that either video card will fit physically in the either computer.  You would have to get the measurments of the space provided for the cards.

From my research, I believe that your only option is to upgrade your PSU.  I will be glad to give you some recomendations if like.  I prefer OCZ or Corsair.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

Highlighted
Author
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Then it looks like my only good option is to get my next computer with one or more of those cards already in place, even if that means not one from HP.  I'm no longer able to handle changing power supplies for something that might not fit anyway.
0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,937 22,597 2,615 8,917
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This has always been an unanswered question for me.  HP allows the choice of every other component except for the PSU.  Why not?  It wouldn't be any more of a problem for them.

You could always upgrade your PSU.  This is not too difficult.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Rather difficult for someone who can no longer lift desktops onto a table, and can't safely do it on the floor.
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation