Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
FordQ1 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I install Windows 7 Pro on a HP Pavilion that came with Windows 8

HP Pavilion p7-1430
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

The hard drive crashed on our HP Pavilion p7-1430 and we do not have the original Windows 8 OEM software that came wi the PC. I have legal copy of Windows 7 Professional I tried to install on a new hard drive after I disabled Secure Boot but when the Windows 7 DVD loads up many times either the keyboard or mouse or both do not work. Is this because the BIOS (and drivers ) that came with the PC work with Windows 8 only? Is there a work around for this so I can install Windows 7 on a new hard drive from scratch?

Thanks

FordQ1

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1600
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When Windows 10 was installed on your computer, a "fingerprint" of your computer was registered at Microsoft.

This "fingerprint" entitles you to reinstall Windows 10 _without_ the requirement to enter a 25-character license-key.

Download Windows 10 for free: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

on another computer, and write a DVD disk.  Boot your computer from that DVD disk.

It will be the "generic" Windows 10, i.e., no HP-specific software that came with the original Windows 8.

At the site:  http://support.hp.com  enter your model-number to search for HP-specific updates & software.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
100301 13818 21250
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the mouse and KB are freezing during the W7 installation, make sure you have them plugged into the PC's USB 2 ports.

The USB 3 ports won't work until after windows is installed and you install the USB 3 drivers.

You should be able to use all of the W7 drivers from this model on yours, except the BIOS and firmware files.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p7-1200-Desktop-PC-series/5187022/model/...

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1600
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> can I install Windows 7 on a new hard drive from scratch?

Yes, as others have said.

Just remember that Windows 7 will hit its "sunset" in January 2020 -- Microsoft will stop issuing security-fixes.

At that time, you'll need to use your current entitlement, to install Windows 10.

So, given that you have a "blank" disk-drive, why not install Windows 10 now,

rather than struggling to "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in January 2020?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation