Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to upgrade the video performance on my stock CPU (details here http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02481314 ).  Games already loaded - Overwatch, and War Thunder.  Both games will run, but the lag is pretty bad.

Did on-line research and I think the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti card should work - runs just on the card slot, rated for 300W PSU (card details here - https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-750Ti-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3PRI?th=1 and here http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications).

But, my motherboard hasn't had a BIOS update since purchase (BIOS Revision 6.04 09/07/10) and I'm not even sure if HP has a BIOS update for this computer.  I'm worried that either the MOB or the Windows 10 OS won't pick up the card, leaving me with a dark screen following the install.  Some additional investigation suggests that the card's PCI 3.0 format may cause issues.

Already familiar with the new card install process - uninstall AMD drivers... power down CPU... remove old card - install new, install new drivers after successful boot.

Bottom line - with a seven year old stock CPU should I even be trying to upgrade the video capability?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

With some of the problems users have had with the adding of newer video cards, it might be a good idea to purchase from a shop that has a good return policy.  That subject card is not on the Compatible list but it might be OK.  you will not know for sure until you try it.  It is a very good card for upgrading purposes.

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX_(Alvorix)/1631/Compatible_GPUs

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

With some of the problems users have had with the adding of newer video cards, it might be a good idea to purchase from a shop that has a good return policy.  That subject card is not on the Compatible list but it might be OK.  you will not know for sure until you try it.  It is a very good card for upgrading purposes.

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX_(Alvorix)/1631/Compatible_GPUs

Thank you for the reply.  Got the card (before you had provided the compatibility list) - new in the box.  Followed directions - uninstall AMD drivers... power down... replace AMD card with NVIDIA... (card fit without an issue)... power and plugs back in... power on.

And I get what I can only call a partial boot.  Windows 10 logo showed... boot sequence sound... and then it stops.

Tried a reboot, and only got a quick flash of the black F10 startup screen, and then another freeze.

So, based on that condition, plus the listing you supplied, I'm leaning towards returning the card.  And purchasing based on the list.

HP Recommended

While an unpleasant happening, the symptoms are similar to a card the Motherboard does not accept.  You best bet is to either get a card form the list or a different ( Retail )motherboard

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

While an unpleasant happening, the symptoms are similar to a card the Motherboard does not accept.  You best bet is to either get a card form the list or a different ( Retail )motherboard

Howdy again and thanks for your help.  Sent the NVIDIA back.  Now looking to purchase.  Of the GPUs on the list you sent, I'm trying to look at those with <75W power need (stock PSU in the HPE-400y is a 300W unit).  Original AMD Radeon 5450 draws 20W.  Online discussions in other forums suggests that 75W is about the max you can put in with the original PSU.  Based on that supposition I'm looking at the AMD Radeon HD 6670 1024 (66W), or the AMD Radeon HD 5670 1024 (64W).

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti drew 60W and powered up in the chassis fine.

Now before I go to that trouble (for the third time now) do y'all concur with the supposition that 75W is about the max GPU draw you can drop into the chassis with a 300W PSU?

HP Recommended

The supposition that 75W is about the max GPU is out of my expertize.  All I can say is anything beyond the current draw of the available optional video cards can be asking for trouble.  OEM power supplies typically are not expected to deliver much beyond the current of the expected accessories available.  IMHO, changing a power supply out is not much more complicated than the video card.  While the case is open for the video card, take measurements of the power supply.  Typical measurements are 3.4" x 5.5" x 5.9"  You can expect some variations on those but check to see the space available in the case.  If you do change the power supply, get at least a 450w single rail.

I'm not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.