Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ElCoyoteSurvive Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I upgrade h8-1230 from Win7 to Win10?

Pavilion HPE h8-1230
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought this in Nov, 2012, Win7 SP1. I would like to update to Win10, but I'm not sure the Broadcom WLAN driver will work in Win10. The adapter version is 5.60.350.6 (3/22/2010), BCMWL664.SYS. I don't want to update only to find I have no internet or network access.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 67 130
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Win 7 upgrades to Win 10 can be problematic with no easy way back to Win 7 unless you have a good image and bootable rescue media.

The safest way to upgrade is to clone your existing Win 7 install to a second HDD or SSD. Connect only the cloned HDD to your PC to do the upgrade.

Carefully read this entire article by Ed Bott to learn what needs to be done, and the time you will invest, if you have to rebuild Windows 7. 

Win 10 may have the correct WLAN driver as well as all other drivers needed to run correctly or the upgrade could choke.

You still have the original Win 7 install on the first HDD and can move on with your computing life.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
ElCoyoteSurvive Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This worked well. Tedious, but almost no complication. The h8-1230 can indeed be upgraded to Win10. I cloned the OS partition of my HDD to a new SSD. Then I plugged the SSD into the motherboard port previously occupied by the HDD and plugged the HDD into a vacant port (to have access to the data partition on the old HDD). Upgraded to Win10. Everything worked exept a few HP programs that I don't need. Had to juggle drive letters to get back to where I wanted, and ready to go.

Thanks for your suggestion.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation