Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, this is my first post here in hp support forum and the title says it all. Can anyone please tell me for sure whether it is possible to upgrade my PC to Core i7-4790K?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Abdullah.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I went ahead, took the risk and tried it on my own...

It works like a charm at 4.00GHz (8 threads) and the PC has more computational power now in every aspect.

Thanks hp for makng support for the Core i7-4790k on the HP ProDesk 600 G1 sff.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check page #5 of the following document:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04128105.pdf

Looks like a NO, newer BIOS does not mention anything about CPU. Only

Fixed F10 "BIOS Power On" issue where TIME was not getting saved unless cursor (focus) remained on TIME setting in F10 menu.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the fast reply, but the history file says

"Version 2.30
 - Added Intel Reference code updates for chipset, memory and CPU to support
   introduction of Haswell Refresh Processors"

and as far as I know Core i7-4790K is a Haswell Refresh Processor. It might not be mientioned in the documents because the documents were not updated with the BIOS, I hope.

Regards.

Abdullah.

HP Recommended
I went ahead, took the risk and tried it on my own...

It works like a charm at 4.00GHz (8 threads) and the PC has more computational power now in every aspect.

Thanks hp for makng support for the Core i7-4790k on the HP ProDesk 600 G1 sff.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks. I want to do the same.

HP Recommended

Did you have to do anything specific to get this working? I upgraded my bios to the latest, popped the 4790k in, and reset the cmos. All the fans spin for about 30 seconds with nothing on the screen,  and then all the fans go to max speed and nothing happens.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The only thing I did was upgrading my BIOS.

Below you can find my system info, you can get the same info for your system by typing "sysinfo" in the start and click on "System Information" and compare your BIOS ver to what I have

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU F4J94UT#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard L01 v02.69, 7/14/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply! Turns out I had bent 2 pins on the motherboard so I bent them back and everything is working great now with the 4790k!

HP Recommended
You are so welcome!
And congratulations for the new CPU it's awesome and super fast 😉
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.