Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (11,867 Views)

Can I upgrade my HP pavilion desktop graphic card to AMD Radeon 7870 2gb?

[ Edited ]

Hey recently I have decided I wish to upgrade my HP pavillions desktop graphic card to an AMD Radeon 7870 2gb, I will put the Product Number, Model Number and Serial Number below.

I understand I will have to ugprade my Power Supply Unit but I am unsure on what will fit. I would be very grateful If I could get help on what I am doing here. The link of the card which I wish to buy is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Radeon-7870-Tahiti-Graphics/dp/B00AM3A7JY/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UT...

It has the correct number of slots although has to extra ports which are not needed. I am just wondering will this work?

Thanks

Here are the Product Number, Model Number and Serial Number.

My Product Number is D7U83EA#ABU

My Model Number is 500-152ea

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 9 (11,855 Views)

Re: Can I upgrade my HP pavilion desktop graphic card to AMD Radeon 7870 2gb?

Hi @RobbieQ ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I need to edit your post to remove personal Information such as the Serial Number. In Accordance of our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
Provost
Message 3 of 9 (11,853 Views)

[ Edited ]

That is pretty ambitious. The computer uses low profile slimline video cards and you are trying to stuff in one of the biggest honkingest video cards on the market. Here is the Support page on the computer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03948127

If you hit the little pluses you get pictures of the motherboard and all. 

I think you are going to have to curb your enthusiasm just a little bit. You need to find a video card that will run without 2 x 6 pin power adapters and loud as a Hoover vacuum cleaner and comes with a low-profile option. 

Like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129271&cm_re=video_low_profile-_-14-129-271...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Top Student
Message 4 of 9 (11,845 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok thanks, Will I need to upgrade my Power Supply Unit for this?

Card seems fine runs most games as far as I have looked.

And is that the best model I should get is their any other makes which I should consider getting eg Sapphire ASUS

Provost
Message 5 of 9 (11,828 Views)

[ Edited ]

Anything similar will work. All video card makers follow a "reference design" so to me they are interchangeable. I think the one I linked is about the strongest you will find that comes in low-profile configuration. It is a good card and should run most games. This one calls for a minimum 300w PSU. I would maybe put in a 400 watt just to be safe and be sure it has at least one 6-pin pci-e power cable. 

Your A-10 processor, motherboard and 8 gigs RAM is plenty strong to drive a high-end graphics card but you need airflow space and room to hold a huge video card and your computer lacks those things. You could almost buy a good computer case for about $100 and swap over your motherboard and DVD drive and then you could put in the video card you want. 

Top Student
Message 6 of 9 (11,803 Views)

That's a good idea, but I'd rather just get a Radeon 7750. It's cheaper amd will run most of the things that I want. I'm just wondering now, is their any 400w power supply unit which will fit? Do you have an Idea of what 400w power supply unit would do the job for the Radeon 7750 

Would this fit and do the job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Supply/dp/B009RMP14M/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie...

It's actually 430w but I assume that 30w extra doesn't matter. Anyway would this graphics card fit, It has an extra port, but will it still fit?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radeon-Graphics-Express-Display-Technology/dp/B008CJVA8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=comput...

Anyway you know the Power Supply Unit I want, and the Radeon 7750 graphics card. Would these two work?

Provost
Message 7 of 9 (11,791 Views)

[ Edited ]

That video card is full height and you need a low profile card. There just are not many powerful video cards that come with a low-profile (short) configuration. 

This is the info on your PSU:

• Form factor: Internal ATX
  • Total wattage: 300W
  • Nominal input voltage range: 200-240V/3A (50-60Hz)
  • Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

The dimensions on the 430w supply are:

Product Dimensions

16 x 15 x 8.6 cm 

so it is 10 mmm wider and longer but the same height so it should fit. 

Top Student
Message 8 of 9 (11,784 Views)

Alright then I will get the one you sent me, and that power supply unit. (If It is required.) Though my last question is, getting the other model which you sent me which you said will fit woud that lower the gaming performance of the card? Or would it stay rougly the same compared to the other cards out their which are to big? And should I try using the card without the new Power Supply Unit first as yuo said 300w is minium. Or should I get the 430w just to be safe? Anyway I'm just wondering if the smaller model which you sent me of the Radeon 7750 which you said would fit, I'm wondering if it will have the same gaming performance compared to the other bigger models which I sent you. Eg Sapphire 

Provost
Message 9 of 9 (11,779 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is a heads up comparison of the card you want HD 7870 vs. the one I think you will have to settle for, the HD 7750:

http://www.hwcompare.com/12189/radeon-hd-7750-vs-radeon-hd-7870/

Yes it is a major compromise but I also do not think you can squeeze a 12 cylinder Lamborghini engine into a Fiat. Something has to give.  

You might skip the PSU upgrade at the beginning because I do not think you will really need it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation