Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (1,127 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can someone please tell me if my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC can handle a 2TB Internal Hard Drive?

Additional info:

• System Type: X64-Based PC
  • Processor: Intel(r) Core(tm) i5 CPU M460 @2.53 GHz, 2534 MHz, 2 Core(s) 4 Logic....
  • Bios Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard F.25, 1/12/2011
  • SMBIOS Version: 2.6
  • Intalled Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
  • Total Physical Memory: 7.80 GB

Also, I read that I might have to update my BIOS for this to "read" the entire drive, would that be the case in this situation?

I would mostly like to play video games faster in addition to having more (larger) programs installed.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate your advice.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Can someone please tell me if my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC can handle a 2TB Internal Hard Driv

Hi:

You also need to make sure the 2 TB HDD has the same physical dimenstions as your current one, or it may not fit in the drive bay.

Some 1 and 2 TB HDD's are thicker than 500GB hard drives.

Paul

View solution in context
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 6 (1,096 Views)

Re: Can someone please tell me if my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC can handle a 2TB Internal Hard Driv

Hello akfg!: As long as the Notebook can run Windows 7 it can handle up to 2.2TB HD without it automatically adding a 2nd partition automatically on the HD as for a BIOS update I wouldn't try it because the risk is too great that you could lose it via a bad flash!

hope this helps you

spacechild

Provost
Message 3 of 6 (1,095 Views)

Hi:

You also need to make sure the 2 TB HDD has the same physical dimenstions as your current one, or it may not fit in the drive bay.

Some 1 and 2 TB HDD's are thicker than 500GB hard drives.

Paul

Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (1,092 Views)

thank you Paul!
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (1,092 Views)

Thanks spacechild!
Highlighted
Provost
Message 6 of 6 (1,091 Views)

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation