cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alstauffer
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Can't boot Windows from new SSD

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So I installed a Samsung SSD 850 EVO in my new HP Envy desktop, running Windows 8.1, hoping to move the OS and my programs over to it and use it as my boot drive, with only files and documents on my original HDD.  I used Samsung's included Data Migration software to clone the drive.  I should add that I didn't clone the Recovery Image from the HHD because Samsung's software manual indicated it would not transfer that.  I went into the BIOS at restart to change the boot order, note there's a Windows Boot Manager listed in the first postion that I'm not familiar with.  I even switched the SATA cables so the SSD is now in the lowest number position.  But as far as I can tell, Windows is still loading from the HDD.  From everything I've read preparing to make this change I was hoping it would be a simple process but I'm afraid I'm stuck now.  The SSD does me no good if I can't get my OS to boot from it.  Can anyone help me out?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Create the external HP recovery media before your do anything.  Additionally, backup your data.

I suggest that you boot into the BIOs and disable secure boot and save the change. Now reboot your PC and reclone all of the partitions to your new SSD. When that is done then power off your PC. Now connect the SSD to the SATA port that your HD was connected to and leave the HD disconnected for now.  Now see if you can boot up using the new SSD. 

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
alstauffer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!! Did everything you suggested and that did the trick.  It fired up without blinking an eye.  

Now if I reattach the HDD, will it continue to boot up with the sdd?  And will I be safe wiping the HDD at that point?

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can try reattaching the original HD to a different SATA port.  The issue that you will probably run into is the detection of multiple HDs with EFI partitions which will show up as multiple Windows boot loaders.   You might see this in the BOOT menu screen.  Be sure that you boot off the SSD then it should be safe to "nuke" the HDD.

Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
alstauffer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Along with the original recovery image partition?  It successfully transferred to the ssd and I did create my recovery drive on a flash.  

People aren't kidding about the performance of ssd, this new machine was already snappy, now it's performing tasks almost faster than I can keep up with.  Awesome!

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you successfully created the external HP recovery media then it's safe to delete it off the old HD.

A good backup practice is to take boot drive images at periodic intervals that you can live with should your SSD fail.  The same would hold true for backing up your data.

alstauffer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for continuing to follow up with my questions.  One more thing is causing me to hesitate formatting the HDD and that is when attempting to start the format I recieve an error that the drive is in use.  Now I don't have anything open and I restarted the computer to see if there was something hanging up but I still recieved the same notice.  How should I proceed?

Regarding backups, I'm familiar with managing weekly backups to an external HD of my personal files in the event of a crash.  How is a boot drive image different than that?  Sorry for the stupid questions.  I know enough be to dangerous and I think more than the average person but not enough to be completely confident.  

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
alstauffer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, so I haven't formatted my HDD yet, but everything else seems to be running beautifully, but I'm a little afraid now that I may have messed something up.   If I try to run certain utilities, like disk management, or device manager from the search menu on my start screen I recieve an error that Windows can't find the drive speficied.  And the drive letters correspond with the letters that Windows used to rename the HDD and its partition after successfully booting off the SSD.  It does this whether the HDD is connected or not.  However, I can get into disk management just fine by typing diskmgmt.msc, rather than searching for it.  Here's a capture of some of the dialog boxes I'm getting.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?  

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It appears that your clone process didn't work correctly. Check to be sure that you are using the latest version of the cloning software and that your SSD has the latest firmware.  Your issue is a classic reason that I prefer to reload the SSD using the external recovery media rather than a cloning process.

0 Kudos
phathank
1 1 0 1
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've created an account here just to say thank you for this post. I was having the same problem and your solution fixed it. Thanks!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation