Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (201 Views)

Can't change Pavilion display resolution after motherboard

[ Edited ]
Product Name: Pavilion p6-2133w, now p7-1154
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Motherboard and processor failed on Pavilion p6-2133w with AMD A6 3620, AMD Radeon HD 6530D, Windows 10 Pro.

I paid Staples Easytech Replaced to replace motherboard and processor with AMD A6 3650.

The system is now identified as HP Pavilion p7-1154 Desktop PC -- I did not expect or know the product name would change.

I installed AMD Catalyst Driver https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx which recognizes the Acer S201HL display but I still can't increase resolution beyond 640x480.

Two questions.

First, this may be a dumb question, but is the change from p6-2133w to a p7-1154 an issue?

Second, one idea is that the BIOS should be "reset" -- which I thinks is the same as "flash?" -- so that it will recognize the hardware but I can't figure out how to do the reset.

Any ideas appreciated.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 4 (193 Views)

Re: Can't change Pavilion display resolution after motherboard

Greetings,

1. Only if you are in warranty.

2. You can enter 'SETUP" , set BIOS to defaults, and "save and exit".

Staples replaced the p6-2133w MB with a similar board  used by HP in a different product number.

You should get HD screen resolution. This integrated graphics board may be HP OEM.

Remove the AMD graphics driver. Let Win 10 install the driver and see if that helps.

Install a discrete graphics card if the AMD GPU is not compatible with Win 10.

Cheers!

Dean
Message 3 of 4 (187 Views)

The two different models mentioned do use the same motherboard, so there should not be a problem.  Assuming the tech did move all the old components, except for the failed CPU to the new motherboard, the old OS should be functioning.  Since this is Windows 10 Pro, was this a clean Windows 10 install or an upgrade?  A clean install with the original DVD might resolve the issues or as @ Jay_101 says to do.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
PhD Student
Message 4 of 4 (175 Views)

Hi

I had an occasion when the screen resolution etc could not be changed, this was while I was waiting for Windows 10 to get Validated after a clean install.

So if you have had a clean install or mobo change then you may be awaiting Validation. 

Of course it is possible that the new mobo wont be recognised by Microsoft and get automatic validation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation