cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Adamantium Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't connect to the internet on my desktop PC. Absolutely no internet sources detected.

Compaq Presario SR5410F
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi. I just signed up only to get help for this problem on an old tower. It is currently out of warranty.

I had this desktop as a gift from a family friend. We left it untouched for nearly two years. I asked my dad if I could move it to my room, and possibly have it be my primary computer. He let me do my stuff, and in just a few hours, it was set up, and reset to factory settings. One problem, though. I couldn't connect to the internet. There was absolutely no wireless connections detected, including mine. Now, this is strange, as the router is working just fine, with no problems. I tried to troubleshoot it, but nothing helped.

I just tried again before typing again. It says a wireless option is avaiable for connecting, but this is only said on the help center. On the setup, it only says Broadband or Dial-up. I have an ethernet cable, but it's downstairs, and the router is not upstairs with me.

Please help me with this. I really want this computer working.

~Clinton S.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
46281 40542 4386 11296
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't connect to the internet on my desktop PC. Absolutely no internet sources detected.

That is a pretty ancient PC from 2008.

If you would like to use wifi, I highly recommend using either a usb dongle or a PCIe x1 wifi card. The PC was delivered with an ancient 56k winmodem. 

Your best and most economical bet would be a USB wifi dongle. You can pick one up  at a good price at just about any electronics store or even a Walmart.  All you need is one with a  802.11G or 802.11N specification. 

See the following webpage for some of both types that will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100158094%20600014287%2060001...

I do not recommend sinking very much $$$ or whichever currency you prefer into the PC. You should be able to procure the required  usb wifi dongle for under $30.00. 

The only difficult thing will be finding Windows Vista drivers, if you are actually using the original operating system.  

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation