cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Retired Bill_F
Retired
2,356 2,020 147 330
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can’t hear any sound from my computer

Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My sound isn’t working in Windows 10. No audio at all from YouTube videos, music/media players, Windows system sounds, etc.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Professor Professor
Professor
1,243 1,186 166 879
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Have you tried a few different devices (headphones/speakers)? There could be a hardware issue with one of those devices. Also, keep in mind that most desktops don’t have built-in speakers, so you do need to have a device plugged in to hear anything.

If you’ve already tried a couple different pairs of headphones and speakers, the first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Make sure your device is connected to the correct port on the computer, and if you’re using powered speakers make sure they’re plugged into a working outlet
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this troubleshooter: Troubleshooting No Sound from the Computer

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
abpulse Tutor
Tutor
5 3 0 3
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I went to contraol panel/soung and tested the speackers, which it says are RealTek and the test worked.  The speakers are actually an inexpensive set from LogiTech.  I then went to email and I got the "ding" when hard deleting a message for the first two.  Then it quit.  I then tried listening to a YouTube video and there was not sound.  The desktop, which is brnd new, has DTS Audio Control, but I don't know how it works.

abpulse Tutor
Tutor
5 3 0 3
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Where is the audio trouble shooting in Windows? 

daljitdodd Tutor
Tutor
12 6 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I had same problem solve as follows

go to control panel

i9n seaqrch box type trouble shooter

then type troubleshooting

go to hardware and sound

check for drivers-are they uo-to- date? try advanced

if everything ok

restore to previous date

it should work

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation