Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
munson85 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't install any network adapters

I cannot install any network adapters onto my computer. I have had it for about 2 years and everything worked fine until about 4 days ago. My computer crashed, and a bunch of my drivers crashed. I fixed all of them except my network adapters, which will not work.

Both the ethernet and the wireless have small yellow ! beside them, saying code 31. Unistalling them and reinstalling does nothing, and I even went out and bought an ethernet adapter, but I just keep getting any error code at the end of the installation that will not let it complete. I tried installing the drivers for the adapter from the HP site, but that didn't work either. I have no idea what is blocking the install, and hope someone can help.

I have a HP Elite , AMD Phenom 2 X6 1035T Processor, 2.60 GHz, Windows 7 64 bit.

The ethernet is a Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6,20)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 2518 150 517
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The crash may have corrupted some files and/or fat table. Did you run a check disk? I would also click on start, run, and type in sfc /scannow (system files check).

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

0 Kudos
munson85 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran the check and the scan now command, didn't seem to do anything. Is there something I am supposed to watch out for on the scan? I got no messages.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 2518 150 517
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you run msconfig and make sure it is in normal mode?  I am thinking that one of the services for networking has  been turned off.  When you look at the network card with the yellow !, can you look at the tabs and see what it says is the problem?

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

0 Kudos
munson85 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran msconfig, it wasn't in normal mode, I switched it to normal and rebooted. The yellow ! says "This device is not configured correctly (code 1)."

It usually switchs between code 1 and code 31, which says it cannot load the drivers, when I try and reinstall the drivers. Switching the comp into normal tried to reinstall the network but it just said it failed, same message when I tried to install the ethernet adapter.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 2518 150 517
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you run your anti-virus program and done a full scan?

0 Kudos
munson85 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it turned up nothing

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 2518 150 517
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please try this:

In Device Manager double click on the Ethernet to see it's Properties, click on the Driver tab, click on "Driver details" button. On the "Driver File Details", under "Driver files" do the files show with green check marks?

Try these:

1. In the Device Manager, highlight the device and press the Delete key. When prompted, confirm that you wish to uninstall the device. Do not restart the PC.

2. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button (near the top). Windows will now scan your system for hardware and install default drivers for anything that requires drivers at this time.

3. If the error is still present repeat item no. 1. In Action menu, click"Add legacy hardware" -> click the "Next" button -> on the "Add Hardware" box tick on "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) -> click the "Next" button. Under "Common hardware types:" choose "Network adapters" -> click the "Next" button. Under manufacturer choose HP -> choose your Network adaptor from the list. If reinstalling the default drivers by using the Device Manager does not correct the problem, you may need to reinstall the original and updated software drivers from the HP web site, then click on the "Have disk" button instead and browse to the driver you downloaded. Follow the remaining prompts, you may need to reboot.

0 Kudos
munson85 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the driver details there are no green checks, just a little certificate icon.

On step 3 I don't have the option to select HP as a manufacturer, only intel, apple, intel corp and Microsoft. It is without a doubt an HP computer,  I have no idea why it is not in here. Under each of the 4 options I don't see my ethernet.

Thank you for your continued help.

0 Kudos
munson85 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whenever I try and install the drivers for my network adapters I just get a message saying that they are incompatible with my system.
I am d/ling these right from the HP website, typed in product number ww663aa#abc, gives me the link to the drivers they just won't work, 64 bit system, no luck at all.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation