Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't restore backup to new drive in XP

dc5750 Microtower
Microsoft Windows XP

I posted this last week and didn't get any response. so I'm trying again.    I guess I shouldn't have started so late on.

My hard drive failed I replaced it.  When I tried to restore the files it would do nothing.   My backups were on a secondary drive.  It's curious that I had also simply copied important files to directories on the secondary drive.  Those files aren't there anymore.

I opened the Backup and Recovery Manager.  Went to "Recover important files or the entire system", then either advanced or wizard,It askes for  "the backup to restore" and files to be "added".  Then nothing.  Whatever I did, it wouldn't add anything. 

I've seen reference to the backup having to be older than the drive.  Impossible here obviously.  Is there a workaround? 

The files have an .inp extenstion. 

Am I missing something else?

Thanking you in advance.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1347 114 373
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you didn't get any help with your last post I figured that I'd at least try to help.

I am not familiar with .inp backup files so I did a search and found something that might be useful.

There are two 'Verified Answers' near the top of the thread and a link to a Migration Restore Utility.

What program generates a backup image of a series of .INP files?

If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
       If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What program generates a backup image of a series of .INP files?

Everything.  I backed up the entire drive and there are just a long series of files such as Base 01.inp (02,03, etc.)  These aren't the only files, of course, but obviously where my backup is.   Should they have a different exention?  I have severaly backups and that's what they all look like.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1347 114 373
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please check that you are using the newest version of HP Backup and Recovery Manager.

Here's a download link for the latest version that I could find. 

Here is the HP Backup and Recovery Manual.

Please reveiw the various recovery steps to be sure you didn't miss anything.

The HP Backup and Recovery Manager also has an 'expert' mode that might work where the 'wizard' didn't.

If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, it is the latest version of the recovery software and I did try "expert" mode.  The "expert" mode didn't seem add much.

The "users guide" is next to useless.  It just says "do it".

I know I'm using an obsolute OS, but I like to manage my own files.  I have 10 on the computer I'm using now.

Surely someone has spelled out the procedures for this process.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1347 114 373
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quote:

"Went to "Recover important files or the entire system", then either advanced or wizard. It asks for"the backup to restore" and files to be "added".  Then nothing."

According to the Windows 8 version of HP Recovery Manager the restore can take 20 - 40 min to BEGIN so please give it at least that long before assuming that it is not working.

"If you used HP Recovery Manager to backup files on your computer, you can use the same program to restore those files. Please note that the restore process can take between 20 and 40 minutes to start. Please do not close the Recovery Manager File Restore Program after starting the restore process."

Is there an RecoveryMgr.exe file in any of your backed up folders?

0 Kudos
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It doesn't get that far.  The hang up is where it asks what I wish to restore and gives me a box for the list to "add", but whatever I do it doesn't let me.  I will go back through the exercise and make carefull notes of everything which transpires.

No there isn't a RecoveryMgr.exe nor any other executables with the backup.

0 Kudos
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nothing to add.  Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the word play.

I went through the paces again, but there is simply nothing new.  When I get to "add" I'm dead in the water. Nothing I do let's me proceed.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1347 114 373
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think we are running out of options. Time to try something 'out of the box'. 

Please try the Dell 'Migration Restore Utility'.

Dell also uses .inp backup files and this utility is used to manually recover the 'migrated data' when a hard drive has been replaced.

"The Migration Restore utility can make it possible to restore data in some situations where the automated process doesn't offer the option, such as with a replacement hard drive or an interruption of the restore process."

0 Kudos
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This doesn't seem to be a solution.  XP is not listed as supported.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation