Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't restore backup to new hard drive

dc5750 Microtower
Microsoft Windows XP

I can't get my backup to load to a new hard drive.  From "recover important files" it asks for the files to be "added" but I can't select files nor give it a location.  The backed up files (on a second drive) is mostly a list of files with .inp extensions.  I've seen reference to a problem with (I believe) the backup being older than the hard drive installation.  If that might be the problem is there a way to change the date of the files? or another work around.  Or, am I not doing something else right? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
3798 201 432
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Oldtimer4,

I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with restoring a backup. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue.

What program did you us the create the backup?

Where is the backup stored?

Please get back to me so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good Morninig,

Thanks, I was ready to throw in the towell.

I used HP's Backup and Recovery which wrote to a separate installed hard drive.

This all began when my primary drive bit the dust.  As I explained in the thread when I try to restore I can't "add" the backup when it asks for it.  Either I'm not understanding what I should be doing or something is preventing me from doing so.  I seen reference to the backup having to be newer than the drive installation.  Obviously impossible when its a new drive.  Is there a work around?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 201 432
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Oldtimer4,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Please look at the following documents.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows XP, 2006 or Later)

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows XP)

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Oldtimer4 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, I guess I haven't been making my situation clear.  I have a new drive which I loaded the operating system.  It is running fine. What I don't have is all my data.  I have several full disk backups on another drive, but can't get the restore routine to work.  When I get to the window asking for the backup to "add" it does nothing.  Is there an HP document explaining the ins and outs of restoring files?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation