cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MoldCAD Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can the 1st (system) graphics card be used in PCIE Slot1 on the Z840 motherboard?

Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my first post here!

I'm about to buy a Z840 workstation mainly for Moldflow analyses, but want to use it in my Ultra HD video editing in DaVinci Resolve, as well. Resolve performance relies on two things mainly (apart of course of the CPU power):

- the compute GPU(s)

- the video I/O card (for monitoring in 444 RGB)

So I need to place the following cards in my future Z840 (what a shame its PCIe slots are not double-wide apart!!!):

1. A modest GTX 750ti card for displaying my desktop in Windows as well as Resolve's UI

2. 2x GTX 1080 GPUs for Resolve's computing, accelration and rendering

3. the Double-wide BlackMagic Decklink 4K Extreme 12G I/O video card

The only way to accomodate all of the cards I see would be to:

- place the compute 1080 GPUs in slots 6 and 2

- install the Decklink card in slot 4 (blocking slot 5, unfortunately as decklink is double-wide, too)

- put my system display card GTX 750ti in the only free slot - namely, the x4 Slot 1 (usually hosting Z turboDrive and such)

My question is: even if I accept the drop in my GTX 750ti performance due to it working in the x4-only slot, is such an aarangement possible - i.e.:

- will the workstation recognize and use my GTX 750ti in Slot 1 as the system graphics card (the only one with a monitor attached - my 4K preview monitor will be conected to the Decklink card, of course)?

Thanks for your advise

Piotr

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17184 17163 1247 1862
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can the 1st (system) graphics card be used in PCIE Slot1 on the Z840 motherboard?

Hey there! @MoldCAD, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you want to use the graphics card in PCIE Slot1.

Yes, you can install the graphics card in the PCIE slot 1. Please find the details below.

Slot 1: PCIe Gen3 x4

Slot 2: PCIe Gen3 x16

Slot 3: Gen3 x8 - Available ONLY when 2nd processor is installed

Slot 4: Gen3 x16 - Available ONLY when 2nd processor is installed

Slot 5: PCIe Gen2 x4 when 1 CPU is installed. Transforms to PCIe Gen3 x8 when 2nd CPU is installed

Slot 6: PCIe Gen3 x16

Slot 7: PCle Gen 2x1

Please refer Z840 maintenance and service guide for more information.

Link: http://hp.care/2dBilRP

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MoldCAD Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank, Chetan!

Now that I know the Z840 will allow my system (1st) graphics card to be installed in the only available slot (after I put my  other - all double-wide - cards: 2x TX 1080 compute GPUs into Slots 6 and 2, and my video I/O Decklink 12G card - into Slot 4) - time has come for asking another related question:

The GTX 750ti card will be the only nVidia GPU with monitor attached (the main video preview monitor will of course be connected to the Decklink card, but NO monitor will be hooked to the compute GTX 1080 cards). Now: I'd like the GTX 750ti with monitor to become my system's main display, in that:

- I can see the POST sequence on it (and enter the BIOS when necessary)

- upon loging to Windows, all background processes which need to use a graphics card use memory (VRAM) of only this 750ti GPU, and NOT of either of the GTX 1080 compute GPUs (as for Resolve video editing system, it's important that the enire 8GB of the latters' VRAM be free and accessible)

Is there a way to make the system recognize a GPU in Slot 1 as the main (i.e. the 1st, system) graphics? Asking, because on all motherboards I ever used it's always the GPU card in the full x16 slot NEAREST to the CPU which automatically becomes the main system graphics, and there is no seting in the BIOS or a physical switch to tell tthe system otherwise... Thanks in advance for the answer and Regards

Piotr

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17184 17163 1247 1862
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @MoldCAD, thanks for the response.

I'm not sure about it. But slots NEAREST to the CPU automatically becomes the main system graphics.

Please contact HP commercial support for more assistance.

Link to contact HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Have a great day!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MoldCAD Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, Thanks - I've got another question:

I'd like to have 2x 1TB SATA SSD in RAID 0, plus 4x 4TB HDD in another RAID 0. The Z840 case certainly has enough space for 4 3.5" drives (internal) plus 2x 2.5" drives (external, along with the slim optical drive) - but the configurator doesn't seem to allow me add all those drives... Why is that, and can it be worked aount without the 3.5"-> 2x 2.5" adapter(s)?

Thanks,

Piotr

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17184 17163 1247 1862
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @MoldCAD, thanks for the response.

I don't have much knowledge about commercial products but can reach out HP commercial support for more assistance.

Link to contact commercial support HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Have a great day!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
MoldCAD Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey - what's this Forum for, if you're sending me off to my local support? You know as well as I do they are limted by the official corporate strategy, and will not help with any "exotic" configurations...

I thought this Forum is for enthusiasts... If this is all I can leran here, I'm going to buy from Supermicro - they will set up my workstation exactly to my own specs and needs.

Bye,

Piotr

0 Kudos
Tags (3)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17184 17163 1247 1862
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello! @MoldCAD, your description of HP product is classified as a commercial product (business line). Our Commercial Support Team does not provide assistance via HP support forums. If you require immediate assistance, you will need to log a case with our Commercial Support Team. Click this link http://ow.ly/I3gw30140F8 for details.
Let me know if you require further information and/or assistance.

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation