Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870c Desktop - Intel C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can you help me add, as an additional capability, the ability to boot to the Windows 7 operating system on my new HP desktop PC, which came with Windows 10 pre-installed?

I assume this means I will need to buy a stand-alone set of Windows 7 set up discs (because my old existing Windows 7 discs assumed I was updating from an earlier version of Windows).

My new computer is a Hewlett Packard desktop PC with 32GB, 1TB internal hard drive plus a 256GB solid state drive. Four USB 3.0 ports and 6 USB 2.0 ports. It came with Windows 10 pre-installed.
I bought it from Costco. See: https://www.costco.com/.product.1100955.html

My goal is to be able to boot into either Windows 10 or 7, at my choosing, each time I start a session.

My current primary reason for wanting this capabilty are the problems/deficiencies I've found with Windows 10 and its associated Windows 10 Email application. I did not have these problems with Windows 7.

For example, the Windows 10 Email application does not have a viable / useable "contacts" capability. I want to get back the "contacts" capability I had with the Windows Live Mail. Consequently I tried ... unsuccessfully ... to install my Windows Live Mail application on my Windows 10 PC. It would not install. So I assume it must be incompatible.

Another example, i.e., problem with Windows 10, concerns the "favorites" menu, which is not working correctly. Only one, two or three websites can be added to the "Add to favorites ..." menu before they begin to disappear. Which means they are not visible and cannot be selected when you wish to navigate to a saved favorite.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Lloyd10

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I would personally advise strongly AGAINST what you are trying to do.

Microsoft, for some time, has been releasing rumours about their blocking Updates for Win7 and Win8x on PCs that come with the new hardware -- essentially, Win10 PCs that have been downgraded.

They are just NOW starting to do that.  So, even if you DO succeed with the downgrade, MS is going to block Updates, which will then make your PC vulnerable to malware whenever you connect it to the Internet.

In addition, MS supplies drivers that provide only basic functionality.  This means that some of the hardware functionality is likely NOT to work if you force a downgrade.  That includes functions like the touchpad, WiFi, switchable graphics, USB ports -- to name the functions commonly reported here. 

You're just asking for trouble by doing such a downgrade.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Lloyd10,

Here are the lengthy instructions to repair Windows Live Mail so it will work under WIN 10.

MS wants to kill-off WLM, but you can fight, for a while.  Before you do attempt, be sure of the password.

On the favorites problem, what browser are you using.  I use IE11, and have no problem saving bookmarks.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

>  I tried ... unsuccessfully ... to install my Windows Live Mail application on my Windows 10 PC.

> It would not install. So I assume it must be incompatible.

Actually, in January 2017, Microsoft declared the "sunset" for Windows Live Mail, and removed the software, and most references to it, from their web-sites.

Also, the Windows "Word Viewer" will reach its "sunset" in October 2017.

So, you could try the "Thunderbird" E-mail client (from the same group that brings you Firefox).

> Another example, i.e., problem with Windows 10, concerns the "favorites" menu, which is not working correctly. Only one, two or three websites can be added to the "Add to favorites ..." menu before they begin to disappear. Which means they are not visible and cannot be selected when you wish to navigate to a saved favorite.

There is a "Favorites toolbar", to which you can add a very-few URLs, and then there are an unlimited number of individual "Favorites" that can be saved & accessed.

Note that Internet Explorer 11 is included within Windows 10.  So, you can use it, instead of Microsoft Edge.

P.S. I agree with the other comments about the cautions of trying to install Windows 7 on hardware designed for Windows 10.  Anyway, after January 2020 -- less than 3 years away -- Windows 7 will achieve its "sunset".

HP Recommended

P.S. If you really want Windows 7, see: 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-refurbished-thinkcentre-desktop-intel-core2-duo-2gb-memory-120gb-...

It is "Lenovo - Refurbished ThinkCentre Desktop - Intel Core2 Duo - 2GB Memory - 120GB Hard Drive" running Windows 7".

For $119 US, it's just about the same price as buying, if you can still find it, a copy of Windows 7 Home.  :Surprise:

If your monitor has two inputs, connect one input to the Lenovo, and one to your new computer, and "switch" the monitor back-and-forth as needed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.