Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ImJen Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Generate A System Health Report

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
Compaq Presario Desktop SR2180NX
2GB RAM

Hello!

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: I haven't generated a system health report for a long time (over 6 months), but recently when I went to do this I got the following error message...

"An error occured while attempting to generate the report. The system cannot find the path specified."

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:

*I'm not able to restore because I don't know how long this has been a problem.
*I've performed a scannow several times over the past couple of weeks, but each time there are no problems reported at all.
*I've performed checkdisk and defrag on a weekly basis for the past 2-years.

OTHER POSSIBLY RELATED ITEMS:
*Reliability and Performance Monitor > Data Collector Sets > System >
ALL of the options -- LAN DIAGNOSTICS, SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS, SYSTEM PERFORMANCE, WIRELESS DIAGNOSTICS are STOPPED. When I try to start them I get the following error --

"When attempting to start the Data Collector Set the following system error occurred. The system cannot find the path specified."

*Data Collector Sets > Right Click User Defined > New >Data Collector Set >

The "next" and "finish" box are whited out no matter what I do (even if I try to create a name); so I can't create a set -- only option available to click is cancel.

Can't think of anything else to add.

I really appreciate any help!

THANK YOU ahead of time!
Sincerely,
Jenny

8 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
89 5 15
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I may not be able to  assist you, but I'd like to give it a try. I'm running a m9400t HP with QuadP, 6GB memory, Vista Home Premium SP2. I'd like some more detail as what program are you are using to collect the data for your report. Are you using the HP Total Care Advisor program or the Hardware Diagnostic Tools program?
CAUTION: I may not always be right, but I'll always give advice.
Kudo's gratefully accepted if I was of help to you.
0 Kudos
Tags (2)
BarryTheBass Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I recently started having the same issue.I typed in and received Health Check which brought back the PC health check and help docking section of the HP desktop. Helth Check was searched and it was found in search so I created a desktop shortcut and it's easier and purtier than that large docking secyion header.Good Luck.

BarryTheBassESPN

PS: I am not a volunteer or expert...as a matter of fact,I am a button masher who can't figure much out on these machines,however,the Geekster and most of the top authors and help providers here really know there stuff.As I was posting this I noticed Windows Help come aboard and in going to it it said all good things about HP forum,however,than instructed to go to health check and check required update and mandatory messages (The Black Clock) then press never,click...NO DON't Do THIS nor click the remind me later or click the magnifying glass because these things create the loss of the Health Check...I dunno..I am a Bass Fishing Eficianado and something smells fishy suddenly with this HP and Windows back & forth Health Check issue...just speculating. The new DTV transition,where the total 100% bandwidth is being cut in half leaving only 50% to the consumer just might be starting a frenzy in all communications speeds,picture and sound quality and so forth...Many don't know that the mandated bandwidth Homeland security DTV transition just might gegrade pictures,sound and speeds and features on the PC.The lack of bandwidth could possibly cause rationing of PC usage...Wow...The new Y2K in June with this DTV Transition...check with the FCC or 1-800-DTV and ask for the truth about thr changes...and get this...the DTV converter boxes don't have Dolby Digital sound..lol...It was a complex world years back,however,I feel that Obama and the new regime is going to get this nation to go back to basics and simplify and sacrifice many,many things so be ready to plant your victory gardens also...I went to a concert and the chair collapsed beneath me in disabled seating and the artist cares about his audience,however puts so much preparation into his show and the rigging that last minute seating occurs and here My seat in disabled,handicapped area collapsed and broke.I am settleing a mega case within weeks and moving to Turks and Caicos...perhaps the Bandswith will be less than what I needed,however,money does not bring happines...Great Moderators and these HP forum helpers are the ones that will make me happiest once they save My PC from distruction. Yes,I know...just a start...now the nest post will be only question ,and it appears to be possible question after question on nothing but help for the PC....as a matter of fact...The Health Check and PC dock issue this week with windows stopping it,well,I don't know much,however ,does that force us to come to the forum for help and health checks on our own bringing more hits to the HP site and $$$$$ so onJust a fish food for thought.

BarryTheBassESPN

Have a Great Day,

and as always,

Much Respect and,

Tight Lines!

BarryTheBassESPN            Bass Angler         ><::::::::))*>       Trading in the benz for a moped...    :-------(

Message Edited by BarryTheBass on 06-05-2009 02:12 AM
0 Kudos
ImJen Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Mr. Fixit!

I'm sorry for not being clear on which health report I use - thank you for bringing it to my attention. There are two ways that I generate this report - the long way and the short way... both do exactly the same thing:

LONG WAY: Start Orb > Right Click Computer > Properties > In the left pane, very bottom, click on Performance > In left pane, click on Advanced Tools > In the main window, click on Generate A System Health Report

SHORT WAY:  Start Orb > In the Start Search box I type cmd > Right click cmd.exe and Run as Administrator > Type perfmon.exe/report

I have a feeling that files were moved or deleted or something, and that's why it can't find the path specified. If someone could walk me through replacing those files, it would be great!

I appreciate your response very much!

Sincerely,

Jen

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
89 5 15
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ImJen:

From looking at my system two things come to mind.

First - Do you have System Administrator privilege on your system? Even though I am the only user on my system and I am the System Administrator I found that when I attempted to access the log files I had to go thru Vista security popup's and  saying that "Yes I am the System Administrator.

Second - On my system the log files reside in C:\perflogs\System and C:\perflogs\Admin. Do you have such a folder on your system? If so what are it's properties, i.e. ownership, read/write permissions. The other thing I found out is how to determine where the log files go. Right click Computer, select Manage, select Reliability and Performancethen select Data Collector Sets, then System. From there right click on the collection set and select properties. This will open the sub-menu with tabs where you can select the directory for the file to reside. In addition there are several other options available and after taking a quick look at the help files and web information on the data collection feature they are WAY to many to go into.

Hope this might help.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
ImJen Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Mr. Fixit!

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue -- I appreciate it.

RESULTS FROM YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS:

OK, I did reestablish the UAC so that it would ask me via a pop-up if I really wanted to run the program -- still couldn't generate a report (same error).

I checked C:/perflogs -- I do have a "System" file with subfolders, but I do NOT have a "Admin" file --could this be the problem?

I did play around with the permissions/ownership, etc... on the "System" folder and made sure it applied to all the subfiles within the folder -- still no report can be generated.

I did checkout the collection sets within System/Data Collector Sets as you mentioned. I'm not able to change anything -- for example if I try to type a directory or change the directory, nothing happens -- the browse option doesn't open anything because it's greyed out.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS ...

It seems like everything that has to do with diagnostics cannot be accessed or changed. 

After snooping around in services, I found that the DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE HOST is stopped. It is on automatic start, but it's in a stopped state. When I try to start it, the START option is grayed out preventing me from being able to start it. 

This is what I found out about DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE HOST -- Windows Diagnostic Infrastructure (WDI) is a collection of diagnostic tools that can help find the source of many common disk, memory and network problems. In addition, it can warn you of impending failures so you can either react to fix them, or at least save your data while you can. The Diagnostic Service Host works with Diagnostic Policy Service (DPS) as a component of WDI. The Diagnostic Service Host enables problem detection, troubleshooting, and resolution for Windows components. If this service is stopped, diagnostics will no longer function.

Do you know of any way to get that DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE HOST started -- maybe through the registry? Do you think this could be the problem?

THANKS again -- especially for your time; I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Jenny        S:o)

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
89 5 15
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ImJen:

I regret that my recomendations didn't work for you. I hate to say it, but I'm out of ideas as to the solution of your problem. The only other thing I can think of  to try at this point is the (I really hate to say this) Microsoft support site(s) and/or forums for a solution to your problem.

Good luck in fixing your problem.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

0 Kudos
BarryTheBass Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jenny,I have been having issues as well...I firmly believe that changes are ocurring with DTV speeds and broadband bandwitdths causing havoc inknowingly with equipment in all arenas of usage.I also feel your like myself and a bit too much maintnance can confuse the PC.The Recovery is,sad to say because ,the way to go...you might lose all your work,however,registry keys clean and new and the PC at factory specs will be the dawn of a new day...Or perhaps the best bet is to purchase a brand new system.I,in all my troubles,have learned that HP is one of the best PC's out there and the support is excellent.The issues at hand come from age,mandated changes in bandwith and the ever changing software in the entire world of PC's with all companies.

I say...Purchase a new HP computer for 2009/2010 and the drivers will be up to date and ready to give you a few new years of great performance.

Good Lick.

BarryTheBass

Barry

0 Kudos
ImJen Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HELLO ALL!

Just a follow-up on this problem ... I wasn't able to find a solution; so as a last resort and because of a couple of other issues, I ended up spending the weekend reinstalling Windows Vista from the recovery partition included on my Compaq. It went surprisingly smooth for me - I had everything prepared ahead of time, a written list of things to do, a study on how-to reinstall using HP's site for my particular computer, and made sure everything was backed up. It took me 3-days, but now my computer is working perfectly! It's like it's brand new again!

THANKS, Mr Fixit and Barry the Bass, for your willingness to help; I appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Jenny      S:o)
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation